• Register Today It's free!

stuck in park

gonecribbin

Reaction score
City, State
mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 limited
97 explorer limited.... Explorer is stuck in park, I checked fuses, all are good... I also have no brake lights.... where should I start? thanks cribbin'

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you park with the steering wheel turned, or while turning the steering wheel? The cause is pressure of the steering wheel(and the front wheels and all parts in between), trying to turn the wheel. With all of that pressure on the wheel it will not come out of park.

You have to put pressure on the steering wheel in the opposite direction that is on it now, while taking it out of park. It happens a lot to all of us, just work at it, you'll figure it out. Welcome to the site,

Did you park with the steering wheel turned, or while turning the steering wheel? The cause is pressure of the steering wheel(and the front wheels and all parts in between), trying to turn the wheel. With all of that pressure on the wheel it will not come out of park.

You have to put pressure on the steering wheel in the opposite direction that is on it now, while taking it out of park. It happens a lot to all of us, just work at it, you'll figure it out. Welcome to the site,

Thanks for the info... I think it is something else, brake lights are not working either...

could it be that the gear housing behind your steering wheel has shifted? thats what happened to my fathers expedition a few months ago.

I'm thinking the brake light- cruise control switch ( BOO -or Brake on off Switch) has been kicked loose-
it's up on the brake pedal lever housing-

Because the brake switch must activate for both the brake lights and the park lock--

+1

The brake/shift interlock relies on a set of contacts in the Brake Pedal Position switch (formerly known as the BOO switch) to disengage the interlock when the pedal is depressed. A second set of contacts in the BPP switches the brake light circuit. I think that makes the BPP a logical first choice for troubleshooting.

Yes, the brake pedal. I'm sorry that I missed that gonecribbin. I agree that without the signal from the brake pedal switch(BOO), the shifter interlock will keep the trans in park.

Back