1996 Explorer 5.0 Oil Adapter Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer 5.0 Oil Adapter Leak

Kebo38

Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 5.0L
My wife's explorer has approximately 170k miles on it and has been leaking oil for the past 50k miles. Everything is pretty gunked up on the drivers lower side of the engine but I am fairly certain that the oil leak is coming from the oil adapter. I have checked and it is not the heads. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has changed the adapter out or the gasket/Oring before and can give some insight into how to do this? Is it a difficult job? How much stuff had to be removed to get to it, it looks like it is pretty tight in there? Where is a good place to find the part or parts that I need to buy? I am very competent on working on vehicles. I try to do all of my own work short of going into the block. Thanks for any insight.

Kebo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update.......my neighbor works in the parts department at a Ford dealership, and he looked it up and they do not sell just the o rings for the adapter. They come as a kit with the adapter itself. I am not paying $560 for some o rings. Can anybody help me out here with what I need to get at the parts store?

first off is it leaking where the oil cooler mounts to the block or where the oil filter mounts to the cooler?

The filter mounts with a threaded stud that also threads into the cooler, these can come loose
the same is true for the cooler mounting to the block, the stud can work itself loose

O rings should be available at any good auto parts or hardware store, but you will likely have to take your assembly apart to get to them, they are large, like 3" diameter

I believe the 96 and 97 5.0L are the only ones that use the water cooled oil filter mount, the 98-01 models no longer have a coolant hose leading through them, its just a metal adapter 9no plastic).... less issues

first off is it leaking where the oil cooler mounts to the block or where the oil filter mounts to the cooler?

The filter mounts with a threaded stud that also threads into the cooler, these can come loose
the same is true for the cooler mounting to the block, the stud can work itself loose

O rings should be available at any good auto parts or hardware store, but you will likely have to take your assembly apart to get to them, they are large, like 3" diameter

I believe the 96 and 97 5.0L are the only ones that use the water cooled oil filter mount, the 98-01 models no longer have a coolant hose leading through them, its just a metal adapter 9no plastic).... less issues

So, I should have an O ring for the adapter plate that mounts to the actual block and one for the bolt that screws into the block? Are there anymore, besides the one between the oil filter and the adapter? If I am going to take it off, I might as well replace them all.

Thanks

there is only one O ring to replace, the one from the plastic cooler mount to the engine block, the oil filter (as you know) has its own O ring

23 is just a washer for the retaining bolt
the O ring goes between 24 and the block

Sorry to keep beating this.........check out this thread. Isn't number 23 a different O ring other than the one that would go against the block? Though I don't see another O ring in the exploded view.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2093774

That indeed is an o-ring. The last time I did this, I went to Ford and bought both o-rings. One for the adapter to the block and one for the bolt to the adapter. You can get them separately. They even had them in stock. Spendy little buggers...but nothing like you were quoted!!

You know, if this thing gives you too much trouble, I would consider going to the later filter adapter and canning that oil cooler...unless you feel you really need it. Same sealing situation, but a lot less crap hanging off the side of the block.

That indeed is an o-ring. The last time I did this, I went to Ford and bought both o-rings. One for the adapter to the block and one for the bolt to the adapter. You can get them separately. They even had them in stock. Spendy little buggers...but nothing like you were quoted!!

You know, if this thing gives you too much trouble, I would consider going to the later filter adapter and canning that oil cooler...unless you feel you really need it. Same sealing situation, but a lot less crap hanging off the side of the block.

You wouldn't happen to have the part numbers would you? That would make it easier. Especially since they are telling me that the O rings come with the adapter kit only. Thanks

Ok, I called another dealership and they said that yes they do have the O rings separate. Wonder why my neighbor said that they didn't sell them separate? Anyway, here are the part numbers in case anyone needs them in the future.

FOTZ6749B - Bolt O ring ($0.93)
F6TZ6L621AA - Block O ring ($5.57)

good info, I stand corrected! 2 o rings in there :)

bump from the dead!

Anyone find these anywhere:
FOTZ6749B - Bolt O ring ($0.93)
F6TZ6L621AA - Block O ring ($5.57)

The block O ring is discontinued, and I can't find it anywhere.

Suggestions?

Tasca ford is my go to for hard to find oe parts

Thx, fastoemparts emailed me back and said they don't have these parts, but gave me a lead on northstarford in MN that has one of the block to adapter O rings. I was trying to get one for [MENTION=61294]vroomzoomboom[/MENTION] also, but it doesn't look good. I'll call them this afternoon.

Tasca has the bolt o-ring but not the block o-ring

Tasca has the bolt o-ring but not the block o-ring

The block o-ring seems like a tough one.
I just ordered the last one from the dealer in IL, along with 20 of the bolt o-rings (The bolt o-rings come in a bag of 20, and that's what I had to buy).

Once the Ford block o-ring shows up, maybe I can match it up with an oil filter o-ring. Then for the cost of an oil filter, we have the 2nd ring I'm looking for.

Ok, good news bad news, just to update this thread.
The ford realer will not ship out of state, so definitely not to Canada. I took a refund instead of spending $80.00 in gas to go get my $10.00 in gaskets.

I was talking to [MENTION=61294]vroomzoomboom[/MENTION] and he mentioned gasket set FEL-PRO Part # CS85489

This set contains the oil adapter O-ring I was looking for. Pretty easy solution.

EDIT: Apparently the felpro O-ring doesn't fit quite right. Permatex black, and tighten er down. That will form a nice seal.

Back