• Register Today It's free!

Help For The Notorious Fuel Smell

Bryan Hartman

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xlt 4wd 4dr
We have talked about this alot. Heres something I found out I want you to know. I was just at the ford dealer and priced a cannister purge valve they said 109.73 I called a friend at napa he croosed the ford part number and he came up with what we believe is the same part. He had a picture of it and is ordering me one to be sure, it will be here Friday. The cost is like 15 dollars. I will let you know if it is the same and fixes the fuel smell. I got a picture of the evac system and there is no solenoid that controls the valve, just the cannister purge valve. PART NUMBER IS E6ZZ9C915A. hope this helps. of course it could be a combination of things, but this valves job is to pull the vapors out of the fuel cannister . Which in my case it is not and they are building up causing the smell.
NAPA PART NUMBER IS 2-28205.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Bryan Hartman
We have talked about this alot. Heres something I found out I want you to know. I was just at the ford dealer and priced a cannister purge valve they said 109.73 I called a friend at napa he croosed the ford part number and he came up with what we believe is the same part. He had a picture of it and is ordering me one to be sure, it will be here Friday. The cost is like 15 dollars. I will let you know if it is the same and fixes the fuel smell. I got a picture of the evac system and there is no solenoid that controls the valve, just the cannister purge valve. PART NUMBER IS E6ZZ9C915A. hope this helps. of course it could be a combination of things, but this valves job is to pull the vapors out of the fuel cannister . Which in my case it is not and they are building up causing the smell.
NAPA PART NUMBER IS 2-28205.

Great. Thanks for the input. I was begining to think I was the only one with the stench problem.

Where did you find the canister? I still am unable to locate it.

Yhanks again....

My cannister is on the drivers fender about halfway back. oblong in shape, plastic, with two round caps on top of it that pull off. but thats on my 1994.

My cannister is on the drivers fender about halfway back. oblong in shape, plastic, with two round caps on top of it that pull off. but thats on my 1994.

Thanks.... does anyone have the exact location on a 99 V6 SOHC? My kingdome for a pic....

So there's definitely no solenoid on the early models? I've been trying to track down a fuel smell problem too, and I'd be very interested in hearing your results. Is replacing it a pretty easy DIY job?

peace

Mike

I have picked up the part from NAPA and it looks like the right part, I will let you know if it cures the problem. lets hope , see ya . It looks to be an easy job.

Ok the valve is installed and it is the same as the factory valve I took out. My purge valve was laying on the lower intake. The hoses that are connected to the valve were not rubber, they are a plastic hose with a rubber coating on them. The valve has two hoses and one electrical plug. The dealer probably would remove the upper intake to get to it. I did not , I slipped it out through the front and it was a pain in the ass. Trying to get it unplugged and pull off the hoses is difficult. The valve has barbed type connections and the plastic hoses are very hard to pull off and push on. I took the hose off of the cannister that runs to the valve ,and it is pulling from the cannister. (this is a good thing).It doesnt get vacuum untilthe rpms go up . So you could test your valve by removing the hose from the can to the valve(remove the cannister end only). Put your finger on the hose and rev the engine to about 2000rpms see if it pulls on your finger and it will still pull for a liitle bit after you let off the accelerator. email me for more info.abhrtmn2@aol.com

OH YEA! IT APPEARS THAT THE SMELL IN THE CAN IS NOT AS HARSH . I WILL GIVE IT A FEW DAYS AND LET YOU KNOW. SO FAR SO GOOD. BRYAN H

Ok the valve is installed and it is the same as the factory valve I took out. My purge valve was laying on the lower intake. The hoses that are connected to the valve were not rubber, they are a plastic hose with a rubber coating on them. The valve has two hoses and one electrical plug. The dealer probably would remove the upper intake to get to it. I did not , I slipped it out through the front and it was a pain in the ass. Trying to get it unplugged and pull off the hoses is difficult. The valve has barbed type connections and the plastic hoses are very hard to pull off and push on. I took the hose off of the cannister that runs to the valve ,and it is pulling from the cannister. (this is a good thing).It doesnt get vacuum untilthe rpms go up . So you could test your valve by removing the hose from the can to the valve(remove the cannister end only). Put your finger on the hose and rev the engine to about 2000rpms see if it pulls on your finger and it will still pull for a liitle bit after you let off the accelerator. email me for more info.abhrtmn2@aol.com

I wonder what the difference will be on my 99?

well it has been a week and i have not smelled anything. I just need to get those damn brake rotors on . Any help on this job?

Hey Bryan--

How has that NAPA selonoid worked out so far? I have basically the same problems you do and I wanted to get this fixed before my 2000 mile road trip next month. I know you are also in columbus. Which NAPA did you get this from? Did you have to go to the warehouse on 161?

Brad

I just wanted to let you know that I had a fuel smell problem as well and the new solenoid from NAPA fixed it. I got mine at a NAPA in Ann Arbor MI, so I'm sure any NAPA would have it. Mine had to order it, so you might want to call and ask if they have it in stock before driving down there.

peace

Mike

is this part hard to locate? Exactly where is it? How difficult is it to replace?

Thanks....

Al, hopefully this pic helps. In my 98, the Fuel Vapor Management Valve (not to be confused with the charcoal evaporation canister) was located under the battery tray. It took less than 30 min. to replace (removing battery, and tray made it easy to access). To give you an idea of its size, the round main body of it is approx 3 - 3 1/2" in diameter. One of the vapor hoses will probably have a green push-on connector, and the other will have a white one.
View

Thank you so much.... now I might be able to find the beastie.

HEY IRTY I GOT MINE FROM THE SULLIVANT AVE. NAPA BUT THEY HAD TO GET IT FROM OUT OF TOWN, WHICH ONLY TAKES A COUPLE OF DAYS. SO FAR NO SMELL NEED ANY MORE INFO. JUST LET ME KNOW

Back