External engine oil cooling. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

External engine oil cooling.

JeffsSport

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Not sure if the NA 3.5 is like this but my 13 Sport has a external duct that goes from a slot that is cut in the lower air dam on the passengerside and is held in by 3 clips that directs air right onto the oil pan. Very odd seeing this cooling setup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if the NA 3.5 is like this but my 13 Sport has a external duct that goes from a slot that is cut in the lower air dam on the passengerside and is held in by 3 clips that directs air right onto the oil pan. Very odd seeing this cooling setup.
When looking at fordparts.com a month ago or so I noticed that there was a picture showing that and it was for the Explorers with the tow package.

Peter

When looking at fordparts.com a month ago or so I noticed that there was a picture showing that and it was for the Explorers with the tow package.

Peter

Hummmmn, I do not have the tow package.

Hummmmn, I do not have the tow package.
That is odd indeed. There was a member who had to have that lower air dam replaced and they replaced with the one with the hole. After he found that it was for the model with the tow package, he went back and the dealer ordered the correct one. The problem is that both parts have the same part number.
The other thread regarding the air dam falling off is about another part that clips on and directs air to the tranny. It is more of an air scoop that is held in place by thumbscrews and has to be removed each time the oil is changed.
Again that is for the tow package and a few members have had it fall off or had screws missing.

Peter

It is only to add additional cooling air to the back of the engine/transmission. Since you have twin turbos the scoop is to help cool off the turbo on the rear cylinder bank

Interesting..

It is only to add additional cooling air to the back of the engine/transmission. Since you have twin turbos the scoop is to help cool off the turbo on the rear cylinder bank
If that is so, and I'm not saying it isn't, then why does fordparts.com show one such item for the Sport with the towing package and another for the Sport without the tow package?

Peter

They could be directing air differently

What i also find interesting is that my 12 SHO does not have any external air blowing on the rear turbo or trans. when in fact it has a belly pan that covers the whole bottom of the engine so no air gets blown in. Maybe Ford figured something out since 12..

Wife's 2012 Lincoln MKT w/EcoBoost twin turbo also has a complete belly pan covering the bottom of the engine compartment. Service tech says Ford doesn't want cold water, snow, etc. hitting the hot turbos. It does have two strategically placed NASA scoops in that pan though. Sorta reminds me of the duct on my Limited with towing pkg.

Back