Add lower airdam underbody cooling air duct to PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Add lower airdam underbody cooling air duct to PIU

BrettS.

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 PIU EB
The civilian tow package Explorers and the Explorer Sport have a underbody air dam cooling duct that directs air from under the radiator area towards the rear turbo, oil cooler, and PTU. Has anybody added this lower airdam cooling duct to their PIU? I removed the "Powertrain Protection Shield" aka underbody skidplate under the motor. I noticed there are several holes in the frame that I think make be for the cooling duct but I am not certain. I think it might fit but don't want to buy it and then realize it wont fit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It fits! You have to remove the metal skidplate which I previously did first. The retainers are in the frame so you only need the cooling duct and thumbscrews.

There are actually two different lower shields. FB5Z-7810494-A fits if you modify it a little. You need to cut a groove in the front and trim the rear a little to clear the cat. Then it bolts right in. However the 9910494 appears to be a better fit and would bolt right in. It has the front groove and the rear is better designed to clear the cat.

It fits! You have to remove the metal skidplate which I previously did first. The retainers are in the frame so you only need the cooling duct and thumbscrews.

There are actually two different lower shields. FB5Z-7810494-A fits if you modify it a little. You need to cut a groove in the front and trim the rear a little to clear the cat. Then it bolts right in. However the 9910494 appears to be a better fit and would bolt right in. It has the front groove and the rear is better designed to clear the cat.
Do you have the cutout in the lower bumper? Lower grille cutout?

Peter

No I do not. The PIU does not have the lower plastic airdam at the bottom front where that cutout is. My front bumper ends directly below the A/C / radiator opening above that plastic airdam. The civilian explorers have a lip/airdam that hangs lower that has that cutout. Mine doesn't. Where the civilian airdam would be is where they mount the big metal skidplate.

Back