What is this part? '01 Explorer Sport Master Cylinder Repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this part? '01 Explorer Sport Master Cylinder Repair

porta

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I have what I thought was a brake master cylinder leak on my 2001 Explorer Sport.

Turns out the master cylinder is fine, and what's leaking is some sort of aluminum adapter that connects the rear brake line to the master cylinder. It appears to be a valve of some type.

The auto parts store was unable to help me identify this part, and searching online has not helped. I've included a link to a picture of the part below - the part in question is the thing I am holding. Can anyone tell me what this part is called and where I might order another one?

The leak by the way is in the central o ring on that part...

Thanks,

http://jjwppics.blogspot.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have rear drums? Looks like a residual valve.

Mitch

yeah, I've got disc front, drum rear.

I'll try googling "residual valve". That is the technical term for the part?

Seems strange that I cannot find anything on this thing..

Thanks,

Thanks for the link, but this would not appear to be my part I think..

The residual valves I see on the hot rod forums all appear to be female on both ends. What I have is a male end that goes into the master cylinder port, and a female end that accepts my rear brake line.

This should be a stock Ford part anyways right? There would be no other way to attach the rear brake line to the MC without this?

Truck is a 2001 Explorer Sport. Nothing custom on it that I know of.

New pictures added that show more detail - please check it out if you don't mind:
http://jjwppics.blogspot.com/

Looks like a proportioning valve to me.

assuming it is a proportioning valve, would it be safe to bypass it using a standard brake line union fitting? What say you all?

I've spent hours searching the internet, and NOBODY has this part...

Thanks,

edit: I think I found it. It is a proportioning valve of some type. Ford is calling it a master cylinder control valve, base part # 2C161

Just ordered one from the dealer.

Back