• Register Today It's free!

Interior lights wont come on?!?

ctoledo0834

Reaction score
City, State
miami, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer xlt
So I just checked the fuses and changed fuse #4 even though it wasn't blow. I also check #12 and it was good. the puddle lights turned back on but the second row didn't. I did notice when I pulled fuse #4 the 3rd row light turn off and when I pulled #12 the 3rd and the front dome/map light turned off. So I don't know what's going on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both fuses you mentioned control the interior lights but in different ways. Number 4 controls the 'demand' lights meaning those turned on by way of their On/Off switches and number 12 controls them as 'courtesy' lights such as when the doors are opened. Can you manually turn on the 2nd row lights? If so that involves fuse 4. If you can't, then I would think there is a possible problem with the fixture.

Peter

As I indicated in post 5, both fuses you mentioned control the interior lights but in different ways. Number 4 controls the 'demand' lights meaning those turned on by way of their On/Off switches and number 12 controls them as 'courtesy' lights such as when the doors are opened. Can you manually turn on the 2nd row lights? If so that involves fuse 4. If you can't, then I would think there is a possible problem with the fixture.

Peter

Ok now i understand. I already ordered a new fixture should get here in a few days. so I hope that resolves the problem

By any chance do you guys now where I can get a new puddle light? That's not from the dealer

The 2nd row light doesn't turn on with the head light switch. The 2 buttons on the fixture do light up but nothing happens when they are pushed

Sounds like it could be the bulb. The Owner's Guide shows that seems to be 2 options for the second row. One shows 2 regular bulbs and the other shows an LED.

Peter

Front map light and 3rd row map light not working

My moms 2013 explorer limited has the front map lights not working when you open the doors but they work when you press them. The rear light in the 3rd row isn't working either and the powerfold 3rd row buttons are not lit up like normal help.

Kind of sounds like the "dark car" function got enabled, do any of the other lights come on when you open the doors (such as the tail lights or puddle lights)

Kind of sounds like the "dark car" function got enabled, do any of the other lights come on when you open the doors (such as the tail lights or puddle lights)
Yes the puddle lamps do work and the parking lights do come on when you open/close a door. The ambient lighting does work. none of the map lights work when you open the door you have to push them and they will come on. the 3rd row map light will not come on though even if you do push it. tonight i will take the junk out of the back and see if the 3rd row seats work. i also noticed the glove box light does not come on either.

My moms 2013 explorer limited has the front map lights not working when you open the doors but they work when you press them. The rear light in the 3rd row isn't working either and the powerfold 3rd row buttons are not lit up like normal help.
Using the Forum's 'Search' function I found this thread and merged yours with it. Check out my post 5 to see if that (fuse) is your problem.

Peter

Hi! I bought a "certified" 2016 Ford Explorer Limited and my second and third row dome (ceiling) lights don't work at all any idea why? Iam afraid to go to the dealer because I can already see that one of the fixture is scratched up so someone was trying to work on them with no luck.

Hi! I bought a "certified" 2016 Ford Explorer Limited and my second and third row dome (ceiling) lights don't work at all any idea why? Iam afraid to go to the dealer because I can already see that one of the fixture is scratched up so someone was trying to work on them with no luck.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The 2016 cabin fuse panel is unlike previous ones. There is only one fuse indicated and that is fuse #1 which is for "Demand Lamps" and "battery Saver". In previous years there was a fuse for the Demand Lamps and another for Courtesy Lamps. If your front map lights work then I don't think it is the fuse. I'm guessing that those lights don't come on with the door opening nor with their respective switches. In any case I'd take it back and have the dealer check it out regardless of the scratches. The lights should have been working when they sold it to you. I'm guessing they never checked.

Peter

The 2016 cabin fuse panel is unlike previous ones. There is only one fuse indicated and that is fuse #1 which is for "Demand Lamps" and "battery Saver". In previous years there was a fuse for the Demand Lamps and another for Courtesy Lamps. If your front map lights work then I don't think it is the fuse. I'm guessing that those lights don't come on with the door opening nor with their respective switches. In any case I'd take it back and have the dealer check it out regardless of the scratches. The lights should have been working when they sold it to you. I'm guessing they never checked.

Peter
Yes this is very strange my front light work normlay and as I mentioned before 2nd, 3rd row wont come on at all and to be more interesting trunk light on the left works. I guess that dealer visit is necessarily Yay! Thanks for your help!

Update!
I decided to take a deeper look and fund out after taking off all the fixtures that some idiot disconnected wires in both of the lights. Why the f... would someone do that? Now I know how Ford sells their " Certified" cars. No one even bother to look at that and I know they have to check those lights before giving a certificate.

Update!
I decided to take a deeper look and fund out after taking off all the fixtures that some idiot disconnected wires in both of the lights. Why the f... would someone do that? Now I know how Ford sells their " Certified" cars. No one even bother to look at that and I know they have to check those lights before giving a certificate.
I can hazard a guess as to why. There were several posts very early on when the 5th gen. came out about the inability to turn those lights off. Many of those posts cited that the members had young children and that those lights would wake them up every time a door was opened. As far as I'm concerned, Ford dropped the ball on this issue. I have no idea why they decided to install them without a way to turn them off by using a switch/button.

Peter

I am having the same problem with a CPO 2014 XLT I bought yesterday. No interior lights illuminate when you open any door. Furthermore, I get nothing except the dashboard and mytouch screen. No footlights. no door lights, and nothing "ambient" at all. I am actually growing a little concerned that they don't exist. Can someone put my mind at ease? For instance, there is no backlighting on the steering wheel controls. Shouldn't the lettering or symbols light up on the steering wheel controls?

I am having the same problem with a CPO 2014 XLT I bought yesterday. No interior lights illuminate when you open any door. Furthermore, I get nothing except the dashboard and mytouch screen. No footlights. no door lights, and nothing "ambient" at all. I am actually growing a little concerned that they don't exist. Can someone put my mind at ease? For instance, there is no backlighting on the steering wheel controls. Shouldn't the lettering or symbols light up on the steering wheel controls?
Not all vehicles have the ambient lighting. You should be able to check using the MFT screen as that is how you set the colours and intensity. Press the 'Settings" icon (little cog wheels) the select 'Vehicle' and then a menu should pop up with various options. Ambient Lighting is one of them IF you have it. Do the interior lights come on when you use their switches? There are 2 fuses for the lights. One is for 'Demand Lights' (using the individual switches) and the other is for 'Courtesy Lights' (come on with the doors being opened. The fuses are in the cabin fuse panel which under the dash up above the emergency brake area and it is very difficult to access. For the back lighting have you made sure that the dimmer switch down by the light control is not turned off or down to minimum. BTW the fuses are shown in the Owner's Manual.

Peter

Have you taken it back to the dealer to have them check it out. When you open the doors do the exterior parking lights come on? If not, it could be that the previous owner had the 'Dark Car' feature activated. I still think a dealer visit is in order since you just bought the vehicle. As CPO Explorer the dealer is supposed to confirm that all is in working order. Looks like someone didn't do their job which makes me wonder what else wasn't checked?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you taken it back to the dealer to have them check it out. When you open the doors do the exterior parking lights come on? If not, it could be that the previous owner had the 'Dark Car' feature activated. I still think a dealer visit is in order since you just bought the vehicle. As CPO Explorer the dealer is supposed to confirm that all is in working order. Looks like someone didn't do their job which makes me wonder what else wasn't checked?

Peter

Nothing comes on, no puddle lights, no dome lights, no footlights, no steering wheel control backlighting, and since I'm new to the car, I am not sure what else is supposed to even come on. I am scheduled to bring the car in tomorrow morning, and I agree. If something this basic was missed, what else was never inspected? How rigid is the CPO process??? I've had the car for less than 48 hours and I'm not thrilled.

Back