• Register Today It's free!

Interior lighting quirk

nnichols

Reaction score
City, State
Moore, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT FWD
Sometimes we turn the second row interior dome light on for my 5 year old so he can read.

If we all get out, and realize that we forgot to turn the light off, we can't just open the door and shut the light off. If the doors are open, and the courtesy lighting is on, the switch is blocked from functioning. It won't matter how many times we hit the switch, it won't work. Someone has to get in the vehicle, shut the door, and wait for the courtesy light timer to expire. Then we can hit the switch and turn the light off.

Am I completely clueless and missing some really obvious way to turn this light off (other than remembering to turn if off beforehand)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes we turn the second row interior dome light on for my 5 year old so he can read.

If we all get out, and realize that we forgot to turn the light off, we can't just open the door and shut the light off. If the doors are open, and the courtesy lighting is on, the switch is blocked from functioning. It won't matter how many times we hit the switch, it won't work. Someone has to get in the vehicle, shut the door, and wait for the courtesy light timer to expire. Then we can hit the switch and turn the light off.

Am I completely clueless and missing some really obvious way to turn this light off (other than remembering to turn if off beforehand)?

If the doors are open the lights will always come on... if you open the door hit the switch it will appear to do nothing, but when you close the door again, the light should go off with the rest of the courtesy lights.

If the doors are open the lights will always come on... if you open the door hit the switch it will appear to do nothing, but when you close the door again, the light should go off with the rest of the courtesy lights.

Nope, touching the switch does nothing. I made a video that i'll upload and post later.

I've seen this discussion before. I think they said turn the car on and hit the switch again and it will go out.

It doesn't sound right. I just tried mine. Got in, started the vehicle, turned 2nd row light on, turned vehicle off, got out, closed driver's door, opened second row door, pressed on light switch and heard it click, closed door and waited for lights to go off. All lights went off.
In any case, if you ever forget to turn it off, the battery saver program should turn it off after 10 minutes or so.

Peter

Below is a link to what I'm observing. BTW, the video is probably as interesting as watching paint dry :)

http://videobam.com/brgoF

I tried turning the key on and had the same results.

Below is a link to what I'm observing. BTW, the video is probably as interesting as watching paint dry :)

http://videobam.com/brgoF

I tried turning the key on and had the same results.

Very strange, one recommendation I can make to reduce the time is when you hit the lock button on the key fob the courtesy lights will immediately go off. Other than that, I will need to test this tonight to verify it happens on mine as well (2013 sport)

Back