00 ex blower motor issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00 ex blower motor issues

00V8

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 EB AWD V8
My problems started this past winter. The fan would not shut off. Any time the key was on the blower motor was running. if I shut the motor off at the temp control console it would shut the lights off and appear to be off but the blower would divert to the defroster.

Then I replaced the blower motor relay and after that the blower would go off but it only had 1 speed, high, or off.

Now all on its own, while driving, it will be blowing out of the vents, then divert to the defroster and the fan will slow, then back to the vents on high on its own.

Any ideas here?

My problems started this past winter. The fan would not shut off. Any time the key was on the blower motor was running. if I shut the motor off at the temp control console it would shut the lights off and appear to be off but the blower would divert to the defroster.

Then I replaced the blower motor relay and after that the blower would go off but it only had 1 speed, high, or off.

Now all on its own, while driving, it will be blowing out of the vents, then divert to the defroster and the fan will slow, then back to the vents on high on its own.

Any ideas here?

EB means you have the EATC control, correct?? There is a blower motor speed controller that may be bad.

The vent shifting is probably a vacuum issue; as vacuum is used to move the directional doors. The "default" is defrost; if you reduce vacuum - like when you accelerate - the airflow will shift. Likely the fan speed doesn't change, it just sounds different. There is a vacuum reservoir inside the pass side front fender behind the inner fender cover - looks like a black softball. Make sure the vacuum lines from that are not broken or pulled out along their path to/thru the firewall. Good luck.

Indeed the vent function is vacuum controlled.
This thread may help.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192842

As mentioned there is also a second problem with the blower speed control. Although, I imagine if there was a leak in the EATC head unit it may behave like you're describing. The thread I linked above shows the manual type HVAC control box.

Back