00 explorer remove front 4wd differential?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

00 explorer remove front 4wd differential??

Summajet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I am needing to remove and inspect the front gears on the differential. I know it is mounted in three places,
Driver side one bolt.
Passengers side one bolt.
Underside frame is another bolt vertical. Anyone know the side of that bolt/nut? Also is it best to use a wrench or socket as it looks like there is limited space to get in there and remove the bolt. I had seen a ranger here on the forums but I cannot find the post anymore.
Thanks,!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The top of that bolt is a stamped nut with a lock washer, meaning the nut will stay in place when you spin the bolt, no need to put a wrench on it
Removing the front diff takes me about 45 minutes usually and that includes jacking up the truck putting on two jack stands, removing the CV axle nuts and loosing the upper ball joint on both sides, slide the cv axles out and the diff is yours
Don't forget to remove the vent tube from the diff so you do not stretch and break it

Don’t forget to remove the driveshaft. Use a good torx bit and pre-soak the bolts.

Pulling the axles is the hard part. Overall easy job.

The top of that bolt is a stamped nut with a lock washer, meaning the nut will stay in place when you spin the bolt, no need to put a wrench on it
Removing the front diff takes me about 45 minutes usually and that includes jacking up the truck putting on two jack stands, removing the CV axle nuts and loosing the upper ball joint on both sides, slide the cv axles out and the diff is yours
Don't forget to remove the vent tube from the diff so you do not stretch and break it

Do you know what size the bolt is that has the lock nut on top? Use a socket or wrench to get the bolt out?
Any pictures of your removal?
Thanks

10mm or 13mm for the differential studs
13 and 15mm for the upper ball joint pinch bolt
34mm cv axle nuts (usually)

I use sockets and ratchets
Typically I will use a dewalt 20V electric impact when I am taking things apart
My 20V impact will ever remove the cv axle nuts which are torqued to 200+ ft lbs

All 3 dif bolts are the same length with 13mm heads. Each have the ear tab capture nut. As far as size of the bolts, I would only guess to say it's about a 3/8" x 4"L.

The vertical bolt's tab nut has a slot, that the tab "Rests" inside of loosely. Do not remove this nut, and try to not to move it around after removing the bolt, as it is a PITA to get it back in place.

Impact/Ratchet, with a long wobble extension will get at all of them.

All 3 dif bolts are the same length with 13mm heads. Each have the ear tab capture nut. As far as size of the bolts, I would only guess to say it's about a 3/8" x 4"L.

The vertical bolt's tab nut has a slot, that the tab "Rests" inside of loosely. Do not remove this nut, and try to not to move it around after removing the bolt, as it is a PITA to get it back in place.

Impact/Ratchet, with a long wobble extension will get at all of them.

That is good information.
Thanks

Back