01-05 Sport Trac FAQs | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01-05 Sport Trac FAQs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I have 216,000 miles, paid $2,500 in 07' with 115,000 miles, with no incidents. If my 99 XLT Automatic AWD burnt tomorrow it wouldn't owe me a dime. I love that SUV but it has the death rattle and my son is driving it and I told him drive it until it dies because it was the best vehicle I owned I I will let it retire. If it burns I'll just call it a Viking funeral. Lol

Don't park it in your garage, if you have one, or next to your house. It doesn't give you a warning and can flame running or parked.

I need to know the location of the 2005 explorer sport trac keypad entry code location
old thread but i found mine [03} by taking out the glove box then the Airbag , behind and above it there a small light colored box , the code is on top of that box ,5 numbers:thumbsup:

What are the biggest tires that fit on a gen 1 Sport Trac without a lift?

Answer
265/70-16 - Possible chance of slight rub lock to lock. The 265's are 30.5" tall, and that dimension can vary from tire to tire, mfg to mfg. Some members report running 275/70/16 with minor rubbing as well.

Frequently Asked Question
Can I find out what my Sport Trac's rear gear ratio is?

Answer
Yes, look on the drivers door jam.

Code Axle 46 — 3.73 non-limited slip 42 — 4.10 non-limited slip D4 — 3.73 limited slip D2 — 4.10 limited slip

Inconsistent "Check Gage" light

Answer
The Check Gage light comes on because the oil pressure gauge is reading zero pressure from the sending unit. This usually occurs in cold weather when you first start it after sitting all night - it gets stuck. After about 1-5 minutes of idling or driving the Oil Pressure gauge will suddenly jump to normal pressure and the Check Gage light goes out. Have your dealer replace the "Oil Pressure Sending Unit" to fix.

I've heard of some problems with the new Sport Tracs. What are they?

Answer
Early buyers have commonly reported the following problems with their Sport Tracs, Most of the problems listed below have been corrected by the 2003 model year:

Vibration in the steering during tight, low speed maneuvers
Fuel door rubs against body panel.
Moon roof leak.
Inadequately painted areas in door frame.
Ringing/rattling noise coming from between cab and cargo bed area.
Difficult or inconsistent starting due to a defective fuel pump.
Premature wear of the ball joints
Transmission 2-3 slipping when shifting
Weak seat belt retraction
suspension noises

Thanks to http://www.mysporttrac.com
Body mount bushings deteriorating

01-05 Sport Trac FAQs

I'm starting this FAQs thread today to keep track of things we know about our 1st generation Sport Tracs. Please PM me anything that you feel should be a FAQ in this thread.

First item to FAQ. The Job 1 / Job 2 crossover date. There were some significant changes made between the Job 1 and Job 2 Sport Tracs. It's important to know when ordering parts for the early models.

#1 - Job 1 / Job 2 crossover date = June 24th, 2000.

#2 - 01-02 Sport Tracs came with drum brakes in the rear. In 03+ the Sport Tracs have rear disc brakes.

#3 -

#4 Owner's Manuals Online
Dead Link Removed

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Regards,
John

Keep on Trac'n
View attachment 207798View attachment 207799View attachment 207800View attachment 207801View attachment 207802
[/QUOTE]
Thanks in memorial to JR for the scrbd link to fix ST 04 rear window initialization issue! I pray he is Trac’n in heaven and smiling upon me and the rest of the forum’s members.

Yes
anyone use the bed of the trac to carry a large ATV or snowmobile? Just curious :)
The 4 Wheeler fits perfect . 1 person load front wheels fit over wheel wells and rear between wheels and tailgate. It's perfect.

Back