NaplesBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naples, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Explorer XLT NBX
Ok,

I promised to post an update after I installed the Edelbrock shocks so here it is.

After the lowering and before the wheels, the suspension seemed way too soft. Body roll was reduced but the wabble was still there.

After the new wheels and tires were installed it seemed to be a little firmer. It also seemed to take corners better than it did with the stock wheels and tires. After a couple days though, the suspension seemed to get much harsher than I like. The balance of the truck seemed to be off.

Now, I installed the new shocks today and took it for a short 20 minute drive. WOW! This thing handles almost as good as my Contour did. Taking corners and changing lanes is almost effortless. You can actually feel the road now. Hopefully the shocks will maintain this level of performance for a considerable length of time.

The difference between the stock and current handling is amazing. I would recommend this to anyone who is less than thrilled by the handling of their Explorer.

congrats on finally finding the proper ride for your x. i have a 2001 sport and was thinking about lowering it an inch or 2 after i get my 20's on. do you have any pics of yours?

also, what kind of shocks do you have and what did you do to lower it?

The shocks are the Edelbrock shocks for lowered Explorers. The part numbers are 3389 and 3489.

Follow this link to see the thread discussing the lowering of my truck: '01 Sport Lowered

Back