'02 Explorer 4x4 issue

hugosal

Reaction score
City, State
Rio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT4x4
Hello, everyone.
I'm Hugo from Brazil, and I recently purchased an '02 Explorer that works very well for the moment, except for the 4x4. It's got an automatic 5 speed transmission, but although only the 4x4 Low lights up in the instrument panel when starting the car, I have tested pressing the three 4x4 buttons while the four wheels off the ground, and no change, no engaging sound, no instrument light comes on. This leads me to believe the 4x4 is not engaging at all. I also tried testing it pressing the buttons while driving, and there's no difference in the handling.
I tested power to the 4x4 fuses and relay, and they all have power with the ignition on. Where do I go from there to see what's wrong with it?
I really would appreciate the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, everyone.
I'm Hugo from Brazil, and I recently purchased an '02 Explorer that works very well for the moment, except for the 4x4. It's got an automatic 5 speed transmission, but although only the 4x4 Low lights up in the instrument panel when starting the car, I have tested pressing the three 4x4 buttons while the four wheels off the ground, and no change, no engaging sound, no instrument light comes on. This leads me to believe the 4x4 is not engaging at all. I also tried testing it pressing the buttons while driving, and there's no difference in the handling.
I tested power to the 4x4 fuses and relay, and they all have power with the ignition on. Where do I go from there to see what's wrong with it?
I really would appreciate the help.

Need to know more, Hugo. Does the vehicle drive and shift normally on pavement? If it were actually in LOW, engine speed would be very high, and on pavement the wheels would "lock-up".

Dashboard 4X4 LOW light is controlled by contacts within the transfer case drive motor. If the motor is actually in LOW position, and engine speeds are what would be expected in HIGH, there may be a broken part in the transfer case, or the electronic clutch is inoperative. imp

No change in driving, it's all the same as in normal driving

To engage LOW:

In Neutral with Foot ON Brake and then press the LOW button and wait until LOW lights up on dash.

Alright, I tried that , and there's no light in the instrument panel nor in the 4 Low push button, and the car drives normally. No change

Sounds like a non functioning shift motor. Remove the shift motor from the transfer case and leave it connected to wiring. Press 4X4 buttons and see if motor shaft moves.

Ok, that sounds reasonable. Will do just that and see how it goes from there.

Don't forget 2002 models had a faulty 4WD control module.
If you have no shifting at all and no lights flashing when you try and shift and then the module will probably have failed

Back