02 explorer rust.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 explorer rust....

winston24

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer 4x4 xlt
Im in the market for a decent explorer 3erd gen. Iv looked at about 10 I keep walking away for various reasons. I finally find one with a new used tranny with paperwork 15k miles on tranny (I know the transmission shop to it all checks out)

I drive it. He let's me test the 4x4 in his side yard. I like it. Looks brand new. 150k miles. Im a diy kinda guy so I crawl under and my jaw drops... Rust!! :censored: iv walked away because of rust 3 times now. He's trying to sell it of the tranny. 2200 job.

The control arms, tie rods and CV axles are covered... In the front and rear. Ball joints, cv boots, bushings all look good thou.

Walk away? I'll work on uploading the pics but I think you guys get the idea.

Oh, I'm in Florida BTW.

Sounds like a northern car. I'd walk away.

Are any metal components inside rusty?

Also, stay away from 2002's if at all possible.
03's are better and 04/05 are best.

I have a 2002 from FL. Beautiful shape! This was before undercoating:

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6z9W4aWlAb8YkFGUm5vWmwxRGM/view?usp=sharing

I had a '99 that was 'local' all it's life by the time I got it a couple of years ago - rust had done it's job, even though the truck was a good runner.

Found my current '02 last year, and having had spent the first 8yrs of it's life in Missouri, it was night and day from the '99. Was a big factor in purchasing it. I only have one small rust area in the inner passenger door frame; the rest looks really nice underneath.

What the other poster said - if rust is an important issue to you, try and find an X that has spent the early part of it's life outside the snow belt. Looks like it really makes a difference, in my view, when I see same-gen 'local' vehicles in comparison.

Back