02 Explorer Sport VS Lightning, stand a chance? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer Sport VS Lightning, stand a chance?

im not sure if this is quite the correct section but heres my story,

Well i was on an undisclosed patch of pavement today and had a lightning pull up beside me at about 55mph, and he sped up and slowed down about 3 times repeatedly....well considering i just pulled 200lbs of subwoofer out of the rear of the ex it feels like it took a huge dumb and i was feeling froggy so as i heard his engine scream the last time (very nice sound i might add) i got behind him and nailed it, i was RIGHT on his bumper all the way to 100 i mean he was NOT pulling me, when i shutoff at 100 he was pulling ahead pretty good when his path was obstructed, so i took the slow path and went right of the obstruction and he went left, as we had more "obstructions":thumbdwn: we dodged to each our own until i made my way ahead of him by about 3 carlengths and i stayed that way for about 30 seconds when this effing joe blow in his effing eclipse ricecar, decided he wanted to play too and instead of getting behind me and trying to keep up...he gets in front of me as im accelerating from 70 and of course i had to let off and :mad: then i gave up and just wanted to shove my explorer through his hatch :D...so i gave the lightning a big:thumbsup: and he did the same and then wailed off...my question is...was he just playing with me? because honestly at lets say 60-100 shouldnt a lightning STOMP my explorer, it didnt look to be modded except mby a flowmaster or something, stock wheels and everything and dirty lol...anyways input requested...i have very little in the performance mod category lol...:roll:

Also it seems that 150lbs of weight is a big difference! and the ex is not near as crappy riding over small bumps, or is my mind playing tricks on me :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think he was playing. I have a buddy that has two lighnings and I've drove the "stock slow one". It hauls butt.

I'm turbo charged now so when I get tuned, I'll see if I can take him. I'm gonna guess that it'll be close now that I'm forced fed.

did i miss youre thread about how youve finished???:( i want to seeeeee.....lol idk he deffinately had it nailed, but i would think it would completely waste my ex but i honestly kept up til i shut off...which is getting annoying...

I'm turbo charged now so when I get tuned, I'll see if I can take him. I'm gonna guess that it'll be close now that I'm forced fed.

You should beat him- they only run 14's stock :) I had one pick on me a few months ago, I guess he heard my turbo and wanted to play. He got his feelings hurt to say the least.

stock to stock, the lightning will win. If you were keeping up it is because you were drafting him. I mean let's face it it's like strapping a wil-e-coyote rocket on a brick and watching it fly. It never ended so well for the coyote :)

But I gotta say some of you guys really impress me with the numbers you are pulling with these bricks :thumbsup:

soooo what does my explorer run 1/4 mile? any ideas...sport with a flomaster 40 muffler, volant intake, screamon demon coilpack and autolites at .065" anddd....livewires...

I'd say your in the 15's and closing in on the 14's - My guess only.

Yeah - I'm gonna make a thread that wraps everything up on my turbo build.

You should beat him- they only run 14's stock :) I had one pick on me a few months ago, I guess he heard my turbo and wanted to play. He got his feelings hurt to say the least.

I was gonna say I could waste him but I didn't want to come off as being conceded. Heck, today was my first day to drive and I'm not even mashing the gas half way yet. (I'm scared LOL)

very nice how much for a kit?? :D...

also, do you have under drive pullies and an electric fan? If so did it make a significant difference, im considering the upgrade but wondering if its cost effective, getting rid of the manual fan might add some room for a centrifugal blower, that and relocating the battery...and i hope to god you dyno that thing and take it to the track! i also am interested in total cost and time invested!:salute:

Yes - the underdrive pulleys and fan will make a noticeable difference - I recommend the underdrive pulley first. I believe henson performance has the best price for this.

okay sweet deal would it be expensive to have a local shop do the install? as i dont have the puller and all that stuff to do it...i am getting annoyed my uncles got a shop that works on muscle cars and older vehicles all the time, and every single day theres a car on the lift! i have yet to install anything at the shop, im forced to outsource everything! 300$ to lower it (alignment included)...i need to buy a house! lol get my own garage...im not sure which transmission i have i think its the 5r55w or whatever, do you think a 4.10 swap and the mustang transmission would be worth the upgrade in the future, for your setup i mean? is it possible to replace the heads on my explorer with the super 6 heads without pulling the engine?? i remember that there is a rear timing chain might become a problem... have you considered adding a thicker headgasket to lower your compression a bit? i am unsure of the cons of this and what not, just a thought.

I'm guessing it was a gen 2?

The 99 - 01s ran low 14s. The 03-04 and i believe the 02s can hit high 13s bone stock.

My guess is he was toying with you. Then again being a truck their get up and go factor is what makes them fast. My 60 footer in my gen 1 is great, but on the highway its like driving a brick.

yea im not sure i know i was keeping up for sure! dropping the stereo made a big difference, im ditching my spare, jack and all that tomorrow to get that much more out of it...anyone interested in carbon fiber mirrors? an overlay over the OEM mirror, so not true carbon fiber but it will look good! i guess the group buy section is closed i dunno why?? id say around 350$ for the mirrors who would pay that much?

I'm guessing it was a gen 2?

The 99 - 01s ran low 14s. The 03-04 and i believe the 02s can hit high 13s bone stock.

My guess is he was toying with you. Then again being a truck their get up and go factor is what makes them fast. My 60 footer in my gen 1 is great, but on the highway its like driving a brick.

He wasnt toying- My truck is pretty quick :)

yea but you have a turbo v8 :| i have a v6 that barely makes 150 horses to the wheels lol...its so sad when you thiink about it?

yea but you have a turbo v8 :| i have a v6 that barely makes 150 horses to the wheels lol...its so sad when you thiink about it?

Is your truck an OHV or SOHC? If it is a SOHC, you should be putting 170+ to the ground.

sohc

its a sohc i didnt know it was that much i thought it was around 150 well thats light at the end of the tunnel!...

Back