02 Explorer, Trans wont go into ANY gear, help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Explorer, Trans wont go into ANY gear, help?

CT_JohnnyB

Reaction score
City, State
NW, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hi all, I posted to the newbie forum, asking for a little help with my explorer.

Original thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402612

FR-425 suggested I repost here. Hope that's not breaking forum rules on reposts...

Here's the original question/info, to save a click...

Drove to work the other day, everything was fine. Got out that night, started car, it wont go...Transmission wont go into ANY gear. Towed home, yay...

Checked ALL the fuses in both fuse boxes, under-hood and inside, and nothing blown. 4WD doesn't work correctly at the moment (actually, hasn't for a little over a year now,) as I believe the controller module is bad (obviously, notorious on explorers) and possibly the motor on the transfer case selector (also notorious, grrr) but I've had NO problems with 2WD since I've owned it. (over 4 yrs now)

I've removed the 4WD electric selector motor and checked the transfer case to be sure it's in 2WD, It is. It freely goes into all ranges so I don't believe that's the problem.

I took off the DTR (Digital Transmission Range Sensor) and checked the connector, etc. Car starts fine, so it's not mis-adjusted. If only the DTR was a simple switch, I could test it with a multimeter, but that's not happening, since it's not. Can't find any schematics for the pin-outs/wiring diagram anyways that show what contacts what, in which position, so that's a lost cause at the moment.

I (assume) it's probably the DTR sensor, because I can't think of anything else and this makes sense, with NO gears engaging at all. At least from what I can find online, but the car ran perfectly fine until I got out of work that night, so I'm a little confused.

Any other suggestions on what to test/check, or anything I missed? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated right now, as I honestly just can't afford to bring it to a shop/dealer to get it fixed. Lost my job last year, and I'm working two part-time ones right now, just to survive. Things are rough and the money just isn't there. I'm stranded without it and have no way to get to work, at the moment. Desperate would be an understatement

Thanks for any advice/ideas in advance,
John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the OD light is flashing, get the code read? It's probably not the DTR. You need to do a pressure test. No hydraulic pressure will cause this problem and one cause is the pressure relief valve in the pump.

OD light isn't flashing. I've had the battery disconnected while working on it, so I'm gonna assume the codes are gone by now.

Nothing seems any different, except the truck won't go into gear. It drove perfectly fine, until I got out of work that night. I can't understand it at all.

Edit: all I've got is a cheap, basic $100 code reader i bought a few years back, and no way to get the truck anywhere. I don't even know if it'll pull tranny codes, to be honest. This couldn't have happened at a worse time, as work hours have been cut and I've got just about zero money to fix this right now.

When you say it won't go in any gear, does that include park? If your park is not catching, that could indicate there is, in fact, an issue with something else in the driveline.

No, it engages park just fine. Step on the brake and it'll come out of the park position like usual. It starts right up, and runs normally. But you can sit there all day long, moving the shifter lever through all gears, from first, to reverse, and absolutely nothing happens. it's like the shifter wasn't even connected at all. I might as well be cranking a tree branch up and down...

I'm about to go to the ford dealer here and buy a new digital transmission range sensor and just try it, because I can't tell if it's bad without a better code scanner, which I don't own, and unfortunately can't afford, and haven't got a clue what else to try at this point.

Kinda desperate, as I NEED to be able to get to work, and I live too far to keep asking friends for rides, etc.

In a real bind here, and I could seriously use a little help. Hoping somebody can offer some. It'd REALLY be appreciated...

the shifter is cable operated, you said it felt like it was not doing anything,,
maybe it's not,, get under the Explorer on the drivers side, find the end of the cable, see if it is fact attached,
should look like this under there,

Attachments

• shift cable,.jpg
    shift cable,.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 757

Need a diagram. For a 2006 explorer transmission

My Explorer will not go into gear. Not sure if I will get a reply since this is an older post.. I’m having the very same exact issues with my Explorer and was wondering if anyone found anything out. Can’t pay the bills with no ride to work and I need to figure this out ASAP. My dad says my tranny is just done and won’t even look at it and it ran fine before this happened.. like perfectly fine.

My Explorer will not go into gear. Not sure if I will get a reply since this is an older post.. I’m having the very same exact issues with my Explorer and was wondering if anyone found anything out. Can’t pay the bills with no ride to work and I need to figure this out ASAP. My dad says my tranny is just done and won’t even look at it and it ran fine before this happened.. like perfectly fine.

Welcome to the site!

Conform the fluid level is correct, it may or may not have a dipstick. If no dipstick you will have to get under it and remove the torx bit plug in the center of the drain plug to check the fluid level with the engine running in park on level ground.

If the fluid is full and the vehicle holds in park (wont roll in park) then something inside the transmission has failed.

If you find that it is overfilled, like a lot of fluid drains out then most likely the pump has failed.

Hi all, I posted to the newbie forum, asking for a little help with my explorer.

Original thread: New guy here, hi... Could use a little help.

FR-425 suggested I repost here. Hope that's not breaking forum rules on reposts...

Here's the original question/info, to save a click...

Drove to work the other day, everything was fine. Got out that night, started car, it wont go...Transmission wont go into ANY gear. Towed home, yay...

Checked ALL the fuses in both fuse boxes, under-hood and inside, and nothing blown. 4WD doesn't work correctly at the moment (actually, hasn't for a little over a year now,) as I believe the controller module is bad (obviously, notorious on explorers) and possibly the motor on the transfer case selector (also notorious, grrr) but I've had NO problems with 2WD since I've owned it. (over 4 yrs now)

I've removed the 4WD electric selector motor and checked the transfer case to be sure it's in 2WD, It is. It freely goes into all ranges so I don't believe that's the problem.

I took off the DTR (Digital Transmission Range Sensor) and checked the connector, etc. Car starts fine, so it's not mis-adjusted. If only the DTR was a simple switch, I could test it with a multimeter, but that's not happening, since it's not. Can't find any schematics for the pin-outs/wiring diagram anyways that show what contacts what, in which position, so that's a lost cause at the moment.

I (assume) it's probably the DTR sensor, because I can't think of anything else and this makes sense, with NO gears engaging at all. At least from what I can find online, but the car ran perfectly fine until I got out of work that night, so I'm a little confused.

Any other suggestions on what to test/check, or anything I missed? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated right now, as I honestly just can't afford to bring it to a shop/dealer to get it fixed. Lost my job last year, and I'm working two part-time ones right now, just to survive. Things are rough and the money just isn't there. I'm stranded without it and have no way to get to work, at the moment. Desperate would be an understatement

Thanks for any advice/ideas in advance,
John
I will try this again the Auto trans brains are the ECM talking to the Valvebody the soleion and the spool can be jamed. 98% of all the problem is with valve body. to fix it is not dificalt so drain the oil and remove bottom cover the filter then remove the valve body about 8 screws / bolts. Then pack it in a plastic bag to a box. do a search on the enternet to find a rebuilder that will tested after they fix it. Take pictures with the linkage to be sure you will be able to put it back in. Make sure you use a clean hands and remove the rebuilt valve and then put in trans. Speacal note most of the problem with valvebodys is dirt not changeing the trans oil and filter. Now I will tell you a story my son had a BMW car and he was driving it and suddenly a big note appeard on the screan said err reverible problem do not drive anymore take to your dealer. He did and they said 3-4 thousand to fix it. He called me and said I am going to junk the car. I said I will buy it from him for junk prices. Once I had the car I removed the Valvebody and had it rebuilt. The rebuilder was in Ohio and they said a solenoed had faild and the spool valve were jambed. When I put it back in the car faults all cleared and the trans worked perfect.

Back