94 A4LD Transmission slipped out of gear and now won't go into any gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 A4LD Transmission slipped out of gear and now won't go into any gear.

James Muir

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT.
Was wonder if there might be any quick tempary fix to by me just a little more time. Holidays are here, funds are extremely limited due to lay-off's and of course it is my only means of transportation besides my own two feet..
I was wondering if there might be other things to look at besides trying to change the filter and fluids.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its full of fluid and the linkage for the shifter is operating correctly the problem will most likely be inside the transmission and would require the transmission to be removed to repair.

Make sure you check your fluid with the vehicle running on level ground in park.

Don't replace your fluid and filter until you figure out why it's not engaging gear just make sure it has enough fluid.

Hi Rick, Thank you for your reply. I know it's better if I would have posted more information about the transmission. So let me give some history on the transmission situation. Transmission fluid is definitely full. I own a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT two wheel drive. I'm definitely no Certified mechanic but I am very mechanic savvy. I usually do about dives through my own work becomes too wrenching on the vehicle. The car has 328000 miles and I bought the vehicle about 8 years ago for $600. Man I got it from own an auto repair shop kept up on the car very well, I definitely have gotten more than my money's worth out of her. The transmission that came with the car finally gave out about 6 months ago. I have a friend that owns a private salvage yard and he had a 93 Ford Explorer that I went and got a replacement transmission out . I was told the car ran fine when it came in and was parked and that's where she sat . I have a shop on my property and a car lift to work on vehicles. To try to make this long story shorter basically I know I should have done a lot more to the transmission upon installing into my vehicle. Pretty much I installed it just as it was with the exception of new front seal and rear seal filter and new fluid. I also installed my original torque converter into this new used transmission. The original transmission fluid still had good red color and did not smell too badly burned. I know it would have been best to just buy a new torque converter. What side did the swap out car ran good with the exception I was not getting the overdrive so I dealt with it. Not much longer down the road the car would slip out of gear when I would let off the acceleration pedal and finally popped back into gear when the car slowed down to about 50 miles to 45 miles an hour. Then it became the point it would slip out of gear when I would accelerate kind of hard then let off the pedal it would slip out of gear and not pop back into into gear until the car slowed back down a little down. Then finally it slipped out of gear and will not pop back into gear. So I'm hoping for some advice on what parts maybe have gone bad in the transmission instead of having to do a complete rebuild kit. Sorry for such a long story. Any advice would be much appreciated

This is to correct the typo about being mechanic savvy it was supposed to say I usually do about 90% of my own mechanic work on my vehicle

As far as what parts may have gone bad to cause this issue there is no way to know for sure until you take it apart and look, it could be anything or a few things or the whole thing.

Maybe if you still have the old transmission you can have enough parts between the two to make one work, this would be the cheapest way out. If you like the truck maybe it would be worth to rebuild it, just going to depend on how much money you are willing to spend on it.

Back