How to: - '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
cooling head mod how to

Here's a link to the cooling head mod: How to Install the Cobra Engineering Cylinder Head Cooling Mod

Interesting write up. I should look into that mod. I mounted my throttle cable bracket right over the driver's side freeze plug. When I got the engine it had an out let on the pass side, but I removed it and installed a freeze plug to make room for my heater hoses. SMH. I should look into this for my dad's cobra also. He has an '04 terminator. I change the pass side tube when he got the car because it was leaking. It was not fun... I finally got coolant in mine and the maf hooked up. I took it for a little spin in the parking lot. I am going to like it a lot. Still need to hook up the imrc controller and pcv system, but it's drivable again!

You ever look into this?? The Aviators didnt have a coolant tube coming out of the passengers head like the cobra..obviously you could still do this mod as i am but the question is which heater core line should you ""T"" into?? Assuming the return? Would it still flow out of the heads into the line or would the heater hose try and feed the heads?? Pretty stupid question but hey figured id ask..lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, I did do a version of this mod. I looked at buying the one from lethal performance. But it was almost $200. I ended up buying an adapter from eBay for $15 for the drivers side head, the pass side already had a fitting from the mustang. I put a T on the inlet of the heater core and the outlet goes to the factory line on the back of the water pump mount. All told I probably have $30 in the mod.

I put the lethal even flow mod on my friends cobra. It was a nice kit. It had me remove a restricter from the pass side factory heater hose line, and the drivers side went around the pass side and hooked into the upper radiator hose. As long as it's hooked into a line and not fighting the flow of coolant, it should work. The point is to get hot coolant out of the drivers head, they are many ways to make it happen. Since I plan on driving mine year round, I figured I could use the extra heat.

Yes, I did do a version of this mod. I looked at buying the one from lethal performance. But it was almost $200. I ended up buying an adapter from eBay for $15 for the drivers side head, the pass side already had a fitting from the mustang. I put a T on the inlet of the heater core and the outlet goes to the factory line on the back of the water pump mount. All told I probably have $30 in the mod.
You did inlet? Wonder if it really makes any difference

All right, let's go for tuner number 3. I guess the last guy didn't like it when I told him he had the MAF chart wrong. He refunded my money and said he couldn't help. Trying Brenspeed now. I'll post any updates.

All right, let's go for tuner number 3. I guess the last guy didn't like it when I told him he had the MAF chart wrong. He refunded my money and said he couldn't help. Trying Brenspeed now. I'll post any updates.
I am using the
SCT ba2600

What was wrong with the maf chart?

The tuner was imputing volts for the value file and that column needs counts. It was a simple mistake, I was doing the same thing when I first started tuning it. I politely suggested that he needs to change them and he went off on this rant about knowing the difference between counts and volts and that it didn't matter in this case, when it obviously did. I changed the chart and it worked, but it was too late at that point. I should have just changed it and kept my mouth shut. He could have just kept believing he knew everything about tuning.

Okay, exhaust is on, still hits the frame in a couple places, but not too bad. I talked to Mo aka Dora the explorer from this forum. He said he is willing to help me with the tune. I need to call him tomorrow and see what we can figure out. It's so close!

That is great news!
Mo's truck is awesome too.
I would love to see you both race together, that would be an awesome video.

You are using the front cat pipe off an explorer with 4.6L if I recall correctly, did it have larger diameter pipes?
I guess what's hitting is the stuff behind the cat.

Good luck with the tuning, I cant wait to hear how it runs when it is done, thing is going to be a beast!

73EFD025-AEB0-4977-8B12-8F94F87DA6BF_zpshowz7l9t.jpg

Yes, stock 4.6 explorer y-pipe, the mangaflow tailpipes are hitting the frame in the rear.

I also just ordered a 2.93" blower pulley. Should give me 5 or 6 more lbs of boost.

I've been driving it for a couple weeks now. Feels real strong. I found a tuning worksheet that helped me find the injector info I have been having trouble with. I still have a couple little things to do and install the new supercharger pulley.

Yes, I disabled the knock sensors, and yes explorer pcm. It took some time to get a tune, but I am happy with it for now. I think it still needs some minor adjustments.

What adapter did you buy on eBay? I haven't found anything yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mod-4-...126711?hash=item1eb637c377:g:7B0AAOSwx-9WzgYc
They came in a 2 pack. So I still have 1 if that's all you need.
Those are a terrific find! The mounting plate appears to be much more robust than in other kits I've seen. The description states that it fits the front of the heads which I guess is the same as the rear. Did you install a 90 degree 1/2 inch dia. NPT to hose barb fitting? If so, is there enough room to clear the firewall? Since I only purchased a stripped long block I'll need two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are a terrific find! The mounting plate appears to be much more robust than in other kits I've seen. The description states that it fits the front of the heads which I guess is the same as the rear. Did you install a 90 degree 1/2 inch dia. NPT to hose barb fitting? If so, is there enough room to clear the firewall? Since I only purchased a stripped long block I'll need two.
I posted a link in your thread already with the rear ones and a picture of them installed. .might of missed it

Back