How to: - '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I finally figured out the tune! Truck runs great. I am going to the track Wednesday night and getting a timeslip. I haven't put the supercharger pulley on yet. I want to get a "baseline" before I change anything else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally figured out the tune! Truck runs great. I am going to the track Wednesday night and getting a timeslip. I haven't put the supercharger pulley on yet. I want to get a "baseline" before I change anything else.
Who did the tune or did you end up fine adjust it

I did it myself. I am sure it isn't perfect, but the wide band looks good, and it feels great driving.

Congratulations! I cant wait to hear how an Explorer does at the track with a Terminator engine!

Went to the track last night, air was terrible, wideband went to 10.0 the entire time in 3rd. Best time was a miserable 14.45 @ 93mph. Going back in 2 weeks to try and improve.

96897EFE-8428-4A44-95A1-65E963512907_zpsqgeypzuf.jpg

I'll post a couple videos when I get home to the wifi

I did it myself. I am sure it isn't perfect, but the wide band looks good, and it feels great driving.
What ECU and tuner/software are you using again?

This was during the pass on the drag strip. Turned camera on at the end of 1st gear.

This was later on my way home. Pulled a lot harder.

What ECU and tuner/software are you using again?

Stock ECU with Sct pro racer software. The wide band was between 10.8-11.2 all week, then I get to the track and it flat lines at 10.0. The air was bad, but it should have compensated for it, I would think.

Stock ECU with Sct pro racer software. The wide band was between 10.8-11.2 all week, then I get to the track and it flat lines at 10.0. The air was bad, but it should have compensated for it, I would think.
Stock as in for a 4.6 motor or whatever motor was originally in the truck

Went to the track last night, air was terrible, wideband went to 10.0 the entire time in 3rd.
Have you had time to compare your actual lambda to commanded lambda? For your strategy is the base fuel table indexed by TP or Load?

Stock as in for a 4.6 motor or whatever motor was originally in the truck

Sorry, stock 4.6 2v explorer pcm.

Have you had time to compare your actual lambda to commanded lambda? For your strategy is the base fuel table indexed by TP or Load?

The table is indexed off of TP. I had to play with commanded lambda to get what I was looking for. When I had it set to 11.0 it was giving me 12.0, I can only assume it's from the fact that the fuel pressure is static and at full boost I didn't have any way to raise pressure. So I changed the table to 10.0 and it gave me 11.0 at full throttle, until the night at the track. Is there a way to change the fuel table to load based?

I also noticed, and it can be seen in the video, my gauges dim when I approach 6k rpm. I have heard the 03-04 cobras have alternator issues. I wonder if my voltage is dropping off that high. From what I have read ford spins the alternator too fast and they wear out quickly. I am probably going to get a different one anyway. This one is only rated at 105 amps, the factory explorer alternator is 130 amps. I have added 2 electric fans, an intercooler circulation pump, and my stereo amplifier. I don't think 105 amps is enough. I drained the battery when I first got it running and charged the a/c.

I also noticed, and it can be seen in the video, my gauges dim when I approach 6k rpm. I have heard the 03-04 cobras have alternator issues. I wonder if my voltage is dropping off that high. From what I have read ford spins the alternator too fast and they wear out quickly. I am probably going to get a different one anyway. This one is only rated at 105 amps, the factory explorer alternator is 130 amps. I have added 2 electric fans, an intercooler circulation pump, and my stereo amplifier. I don't think 105 amps is enough. I drained the battery when I first got it running and charged the a/c.
I noted the low current alternator specification for the 4.6L and am also concerned about it being adequate. On my 2000 Sport 4.0L I had a local shop build a custom 240 amp alternator to replace the stock 130 amp unit. I have an electric power steering pump that I may eventually install that draws 80 amps at start up. I suspect the location of the N/A 4.6L alternator results in poor cooling air flow so Ford may have reduced the capacity and offset that by increasing the rotating speed at idle. When the diodes overheat the alternator output decreases. The only loads that increase with engine speed are the fuel pump and ignition. I always datalog battery voltage to see what's happening at various engine speeds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back