How to: - '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Yes I am using pro racer advantage III. Explorer pcm, stock explorer 65psi mechanical returnless system. I loaded factory cobra value file for most of the tune, I then changed the injector data to the 65 psi 38 lb/HR value file. With the MAF unplugged it runs pretty close to lambda under half throttle, so I think my base fuel map is close. He value file for cobra MAF sensor seems out of whack. I don't know, I might have to have a professional tune it. I don't want to blow it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are adjusting the commanded A/F in the base fuel table to get desired A/F, I would suggest against it.
Normally the base table is set to what A/F you want (across a range) and then the MAF transfer function is adjusted to dial in the correct A/F.
For example, if you want 14.3 for low load areas the bottom half of the fuel table would be set to 1 and you would set stoich to 14.3.
Then for WOT area, or the top half of the base fuel table would be set to .790 for an 11.3 A/F ratio.(or what ever ratio you want)
Then you adjust the MAF transfer function to get it dialed in. After that you can blend the base table for transistions from stoich at cruise to what ever at WOT etc.
If you don't have them already, I found Don Lasota's tuning book and video very helpful. I wish I had known about them when I first started tuning, I would have progressed much faster.
Also, some say that the MAF transfer function should not be adjusted, that you should be able to load a value file and it should work.
I will say that it should work if you have all the other stuff like injector, fuel system pressure right in your tune and vehicle, but working and being fine tuned are two different things. Also if you are not using the entire stock air box and intake system, you can not expect the stock MAF transfer file to work perfectly.
One thing I might suggest is to set the commanded fuel pressure to 39.15 in your tune and use the stock Cobra fuel injector files, and then try the stock Cobra MAF transfer file and see if it is close.
Ford has pin point tests on older cars that have you unplug the maf and if it runs better they say to replace the maf. That is true on stock vehicles and with our custom tuned vehicles it could just mean that the maf transfer function is not correct for the modifications and fuel systems we are using. So I completely agree with what you and Joe are saying about the vehicle being able to run with the maf unplugged.

Thanks for the info, I cannot set the fuel pressure as it is a mechanical returnless system that runs 60-65 psi at all times. I will look into the book you mentioned.

Oops, I misread mechanical as electrical. Sorry, you can not set that in the tune.

I am waiting on a new fuel line, I didn't like the bent up factory v8 line and how it fit, so I am putting in a -8 braided line. I am not going to start it again until I get the cooling fans mounted and working. Then I will hit the tune hard and see what I can do.

Here is a crappy pic of the heat exchanger. It looks totally normal there.
C7150581-A50E-4253-AF62-691B9820784C_zpsslfxkjkq.jpg

Looks real good!
What heat exchanger is it? Did you have to remove the bumper to install?

Factory 2004 cobra, yes I had to remove bumper cover, but I only had to modify the core support cross bar.

Nice work!
If you ever have trouble with the Cobra intercooler pump not flowing correctly, try a Meziere pump.
They have a direct drive impellor unlike the Cobra pump(the direct drive flows better than the Cobra pump when there are restrictions to flow). Also has a 20 GPH flow rate compared to about 8 on the Cobra pump.
I can't wait to hear about the results of this build, your truck is going to be one of a kind and a fast one at that!

I didn't know there was an aftermarket upgrade for that pump, thanks. My friends cobra that I am working on is almost done also. He is going to get a remote tune done by Bob Kurgen. I might see if he will tune my explorer also. I don't want to mess up this engine/ project just because of my lack of tuning experience.

All right, everything is done and wired up. Should be going to the tuner in the next week or two, and I have to install the tailpipes, oh yea, and charge the a/c. I can't wait.

3646B5BA-429B-425D-A06F-7F50B6C2D4B8_zpsu5vk5gnq.jpg

F54126CA-8CEA-46BB-98A6-47E842B4B46C_zpsax0u9bml.jpg

A4C2534A-DEC6-444C-973D-42E593AA784A_zpsetzdgzuq.jpg

Thanks for posting those pictures, that truck is AWESOME!!!!!!!!
I hope you get to race it in a 1/4 mile, would love to see what it can do with all that power!!!
I wonder what it weighs now? If you ever come across a drive on scale it would be cool to see the numbers.

Sweetness

It's basically done. I am anxiously waiting to here from the tuner. It's killing me not driving it yet. The guy was on vacation a couple weeks ago, I was on vacation last week. I will update when there is something to post, I promise.

All right, I gave up on kurgan tuning this. He never got back with me. I have contacted LaSota racing and they have been great so far. Money is sent, waiting on them to build a tune for me.

You contacted them by mail or phone ?
All right, I gave up on kurgan tuning this. He never got back with me. I have contacted LaSota racing and they have been great so far. Money is sent, waiting on them to build a tune for me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Email. Super great customer service so far. I sent my first email Saturday night and they replied on a Sunday! I sent payment at 10:40 and had a base tune emailed to me at 11:50. I didn't take my laptop and tuner to work today, so I'll load this tune up tomorrow and see what shakes down.

Back