• Register Today It's free!

02 sensor help on 95 Sport

jwild4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Sport
On my drive across country last week, I noticed that my X started loosing power, when the CEL came on. it would go on and off intermittantly and I could feel when the X would go in and out of "LIMP mode." Nevertheless, I took it into a Dealer right off the freeway in GA. It took them 2 hours to read the code that autozone's reader somehow couldn't (OBD-I maybe?) Anyhow, the dealer tells me that it's a bad 02 sensor (downstream), but that since my X was made in California with their emmisions standards that they didn't have the "California specification" 02 sensor in stock!

Anyhow, I figure wtf, and I drive the rest of the way across the country, with the CEL and power loss only happening after driving for like 2 hours at which point i'd get gas and let the car rest. When I got home, I got 2 new BOSCH sensors from autozone to replace the downstreams. It appears as there are 3 02 sensors in my sport. One proximal on bank 1 just after the exhaust manifold, and two - more distal - in each arm of the exhaust before they join as a "Y" before my two in-line cats... I don't see an 02 sensor after the cats!! which seems odd to me.

After replacing the two downstream 02 sensors I now get a CEL which comes on after the car warms up and stays on - No more loss of power or blinking CEL. Anyhow, I don't want to spend extra cash on getting my code read by the dealer since autozone's readers haven't been able to link with my computer. So, Should I just replace my BOSCH's with the FORD "California specification 02 sensors", or is this dealer talking out his ass?

Thanks for the help and sorry I don't have the actual codes - knew I should have talked to the mechanic directly. :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you remember what the code that came up? Cause a CEL can be caused by numerous things like a dirty MAF sensor.

Dealer is taking out his ass, is no such thing as calif spec O2 sensors, all post 1990 cars leave the factory the same way.

Your Sport has the OBD-I system. Did you reset your Sports computor? You would disconnect the positive battery terminal for about 10 minutes. Then reconnect and start the motor again!

I am not sure the O2 sensors make a difference "California?" type or not! Reset the system ..and see what happens!

Yeah, it get's even better... when I'm driving away from the dealer - with the feeling that I had just heard the biggest load of @#$!, I noticed that the engine seemed to be running poorly, and misfiring... I pull over and notice that the "mechanic" had failed to re-connect one of the spark plug wires... I get a phone call 20 minutes later telling me to come back so they could reconnect the wire!

I haven't reset the computer yet... I'll try that and hopefully the cel will stay off. Thanks!

Back