' 02- What a Pile!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

' 02- What a Pile!!!

Try taking your rig to a Lincoln/Mercury dealer. The people there are a lot nicer than the ones over at Ford. They know how to take care of ya.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 cars ago I had a 1996 Dodge Stratus. That thing had everything wrong with it. 1995 was the first year, but it was a short run. So, 1995/1996 is considered the first year.

AC compressor replaced
master brake cylinder replaced
transmission replaced
front suspension replaced
radiator replaced
had to replace battery after only 1 year
power antenna replaced twice

Luckily, all these problems happened before 36,000 miles. I had the car up to 60,000+ miles. I never had one problem with it after the warranty ran out.

I guess we got lucky. We have a '98 Honda Accord EX-V6. Our car was like the 350th car built for that generation (we waited 6 months for that car) and we have no problems at all other than a bad weatherstrip at the front passenger window. It now has around 67k miles on it and is still running like a champ. I love that car!!

Originally posted by Darz
Yep, I know I should of waited another year, but I really fell for this one on the lot. We were looking at a dark blue one, came back the next day, and they had a white one, with the silver bottom, 17" alum wheels, running boards, fog lamps, and 3rd row seat, and I decided another 1500. was worth it. Its a beautiful SUV, I love the ride, love the power, just hate dealers that blow ya off, and the small problems Ive had. I cant complain on the powertrain, it does start hard sometimes though, but it will start!!!
Where are you at in Wisconsin? I've got some experience with the dealers in southeast Wisconsin, PM me if you're like some suggestions on which to talk to.

Re: 03

Sounds like you mostly have problems that your dealer should fix with no questions (obviously under warranty). If they don't, work your way up the bureaucratic hierarchy until you get your problems taken care of.

I have an '03 XLT (5500mi), and I've had a few minor problems too. Most are just annoying, like: My rear hatch makes noise when I go over rough surfaces (seems to be loose or doesn't close tightly). I have some other rattling sounds in the cabin (very annoying to me), the rubber cover over my shifter is ripped at the seam. Can anyone tell me if these types of things are covered under the '03 warranty?

Luckily, other than some initial problems (see below) I have found no major problems, and haven't had to take my X into the shop at all.

My only real problems were happened right off the lot, and were not related to build quality. The biggest problem was my leather seats had grease stains on them , and there was a ding in my fender. This is the first time I have ever bought a brand new car, so I was a bit naïve and didn't go over the car thoroughly before taking posession. Luckily, my dealership was decent, and took care of the seat stains, however, since I didn't notice the ding till several months after my purchase, they won't do anything about that. To be fair, I'm not entirely sure the ding was there, so I don't blaim them.

Anyway, I guess the point is that all cars have problems, and version 1 (first years) of a model will have more (your starting problem, wheel finish, and door fabric are the type of problems often seen in version 1s of all cars). If you don't mind taking the price hit, I'd suggest trading in for an '04. It's version 3, and as we all know, third times a charm =)

In any case, stay on the dealership until your problems are taken care of!

Regards,
Miles Teg

Originally posted by Darz
Im just kiddin on the buying a Chevy.... Never will happen! It sure gets the messages flying. I will get these problems fixed. I think most of my problems were with a bad dealership. Im trying a different one thursday ( its the one I bought my Ranger from, and where my relatives all buy their Fords ). To a " normal " person, these problems would be no big deal, but I am pretty crazy when it comes to my vehicles. When I spend $$ on things, I like to keep them new as possible. I didnt have a lot of $$ growing up, so anything I have now, I earned it thru HARD work. My mommy & daddy didnt hand me a new vehicle in high school to keep up with the Jones'. I will keep buying Fords of course. I had a 81 F150 as my first vehicle. It had a 300-6, ran for 230,000 miles, until the bcab fell off the cab mounts ( rust ). I then had a 88 Thunderbird turbo coupe, that was a GREAT car. Never had a ounce of trouble with her. I then had a 91 F250 with a 5.7L auto, 8 " skyjacker lift, 35/12.5/16.5 tires, and put 115,000 miles on that w/o a problem besides a u- joint @ 75,000 miles ( what do ya expect with 8" lift? ). So Fords have been great to me. I bought all them used, but my Explorer was NEW, I expected not to have troubles. Oh Well, we will know more tommorrow pm....

not trying to start any **** or anything, but the 91 F250 you had probably had the 5.8 liter, Ford never had a 5.7 liter motor

None of you third gen owners have had rear end problems? I talked to a guy last night with a 2003, he is on the third rear end, ford has no idea how to fix it.
I bought my explorer new first year, there were several recalls, but otherwise it has been a good vehicle.

My parents own an Expedition and were planing on getting a chevy when the one bad week seemed to set in. The Altenator busted out on it and cost 900 bucks canadian to get replaced. That wasent the bad thing. The bad thing was that when we went on a trip to red deer (8 hours away?) The Frost plug popped out when we were passing. My parents even condidered a mini-van. Thankfully they smartened up and we still got the expi

re: General X / Alternator

Sounds like your parents got hussled on that alternator. Shoulda been less than US $100 for parts and labor.. not the ~$600 or so they paid (that's about half the cost of a new engine!). Unless there are details you haven't mentioned, they should file a complaint!

MilesTeg

OOPS!! My F250,had the 351 WINDSOR.......Well the Explorer is home & they fixed nothing. I guess its trade in time. I was going to keep it for a few more years, and i was going to buy a new F350 diesel, not now. FORD CAN KISS MY REAR!!!! If I kept it, I was going to buy the 100,000 mile warranty, not now. I will trade it in for a YUKON!!! I am going to look at a GMC diesel now too. My buddies have GM products, and never have any trouble, and the dealers treat them great.. GOODBYE FORDS!!!!After 17 years of Blue Oval, its time for a change. They calimed FORD doesn't cover SURFACE RUST ONLY ROT THRU. The wheels are not covered either. Screw them, Im done.

Originally posted by unclemeat
None of you third gen owners have had rear end problems? I talked to a guy last night with a 2003, he is on the third rear end, ford has no idea how to fix it.
I bought my explorer new first year, there were several recalls, but otherwise it has been a good vehicle.

We have the same problem with ours. Other than that, its been excellent. Gone through one wiper motor so far though. My Boss has an '02 too and is on his third. He's had trouble with his T-Case, paint is peeling off his roof rack. Replacing brake rotors after 25k.

The only real complaint I have about ours is the amount of headroom in the front. Seems to be only with the seats that have no headrests though. My sis has an '02 with headrests and I have no problem with it.

I would say try going to another dealer. Make a bid deal until something gets done, or your get a new car.

You know it used to be that dealers actually tried to satisfy the customer, not anymore. They know that if you dont buy it, someone else will. We all have too much money nowadays. Ever notice how older houses only have a one car garage? Thats because back then, only the man went to work, and the little lady stayed home to raise the little ones. Now ya have 2-3 vehicles to a house, and thats made auto makers and dealers VERY happy. So no longer is it satisfy the customer so they buy here again, its now SCREW EM, someone else will buy that thing!!
I cant believe that a dealer would look at my wifes EXPLORER today, and tell me- " WOW, I CAN SEE THAT RUST AROUND THE SEAMS ON THE RUNNING BOARDS "!!, and " YEP, I SEE THE CLEARCOAT IS GETTING LINES IN IT AND IS READY TO PEEL ", and then 4 hrs later tell me that they won't cover it because FORD doesnt cover rust unless its rotted thru the metal.....?????? And FORD doesnt cover the clear either....What kinda BS is that?? Im calling FORD at 8:00 AM SHARP!!! I spent $ 33,000 on that vehicle, you would think that they would replace a $400.00 pair of running boards, and $????.00 rims!!! Also, when I picked the POS up, it cranked over, and over, and over, then finally started. but theres NOTHING WRONG with it!!! Hopefully I can get some answers from the FORD 1-800 ### tommorrow. If not, its gone!!! I cant believe how a BAD experience like this can make a guy not so brand loyal anymore!!! I used to bleed blue, its more ORANGISH now if ya know what I mean... It almost makes me not want to wear that nice FORD jacket I have anymore-( XMAS gift )... Good Night all!!

Re: re: General X / Alternator

Originally posted by MilesTeg
Sounds like your parents got hussled on that alternator. Shoulda been less than US $100 for parts and labor.. not the ~$600 or so they paid (that's about half the cost of a new engine!). Unless there are details you haven't mentioned, they should file a complaint!

MilesTeg

You must be kidding. Less then $100 for parts and labor??? Maybe if you got a rebuilt alternator and free labor. I paid $345 for a brand new alternator installed in my Ex and that was the going rate around town. I got it done by my mechanic who my dad's been going to for 35 years, I don't think he would rip me off.

My dad's 02 has some issues too. His tailgate panel right under the rear window cracked too. They replaced the whole tailgate for free though. But he has all kinds of squeaking noises, and this annoying rattling noise that happens when you accelerate. Ford fixed it once but it came back. Also, when you really floor it, a couple seconds later it smells like rotten eggs. And I agree, the leather has worn terribly. It is so wrinkled and cracked, far to much for a car that has 30,000 miles on it. If my first generation had been as crappy as the 02, we wouldn't still have it. And all the time paneling comes loose, like that black accent on panel on the dash and some side panels around the center console, its ridiculous, and the seat belts dont retract, it drives me nuts! OK, enough ranting.

My moms 2002 Trailblazer has a crapload of bugs with it too since it's the 1st year of a new generation. I think that's a universal problem with new gens. She's had her truck at the dealer at least five or six time the last year. All the things I can think of right now that's gone wrong is: She needed new hubs (never even used 4wd either), something wrong with some computer modual, needed new brake rotors, and there were like 4-5 other things on the list they gave her and they still didn't fix what she took it in there for until the 3rd or 4th time. The Engine was making a loudish windy or whiney sound with the RPMs. And now the front end squeaks and squeals whenever she turns really sharp. So don't think it's just a Ford thing. I've never had anything replaced on my 94' Ex unless ya count the stuff I broke being stupid and muddin, but that wasn't the Ex's fault. Except the EGR valve, wheel bearings, and Modulator valve, but altogether that isn't even $100 so that's no biggie.

I have told myself never to buy the first year of a radical change in a vehicle....So for Explorers:

Don't forget 1997 for a SOHC..

when the altenator went on the truck it seized and chewed up the sepentine belt so that had to be replaced and they did a tune up on it too. We got it back the very next day thou. that was nice. one of the reasons that my dad wanted to get rid of the expid is because of electrical problems. Its died on us from O2 Sensors (exceptible) and it needed a new computer along the was (expensive) Besides the fact that he really likes Dodges. If they made a Big enough SUV he probobly would buy one

so what ever happend to the story w/ darz?, Did he ever trade/sell or just go nuts in the dealer? All these questions. I love my sport, but really looking at the Eddie Bauer editions. I saw on another link here that back in i belive 92 or so the most loaded X,went for around 22K,, Cannot believe how much they sell for now, I saw one for 33k and thought it was a good deal! Damn mini van moms!! Hope fully w/ the cross over hybrid types comming out the'll drop down alittle in price! later fellas.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back