03 Explorer (Aviator) Spring Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer (Aviator) Spring Replacement

mrharris32

Reaction score
I've been a mechanic for about 12 years, completed many suspension jobs. I own a shop in the Midwest but no longer turn wrenches as a career.

I do however have some time between now and when I go back to work for the company that pays my bills. I've decided to do a few side jobs to keep myself busy.

I've got an 03 Aviator in need of spring replacements. The owner wants to put 20" rims on and decided to order shorter springs (2" shorter) to knock out some of the open fenderwell space.

On this later model Explorer I'm assuming it's just a matter of releasing the bottom of the strut assembly (stabilizer link, bottom knuckle), releasing the top, pulling it out, using the compressor to take off the old spring and put on the new. I've read a few posts about replacing the spring while the strut assembly is still on the vehicle...this seem ludacris to me. With the assembly out using the compressor is MUCH easier and installing the new shorter spring seems like it would be much easier.

Any general comments or sequence of repair suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!!

As a former mechanic, I'm sure you know more than i do, but I have recently replaced the springs and struts on all four corners of my 02' 4.6L 4x4. In the rears you need to break loose the upper ball joint and take the entire strut/spring out. In the fronts I had also broke loose the upper ball joints as I was replacing them anyway. This makes life a lot easier. I see no way you can do the spring without removing the whole assembly.

Back