'03 Just Replaced Trans Filter and Had a Flush, Now Shifting Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'03 Just Replaced Trans Filter and Had a Flush, Now Shifting Problems

debo75

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS
'03 with 128,000 on the clock. Last night I dropped the pan, replaced the filter (filter was original, but i did have the fluid flushed around 65,000). got all but 2 quarts of what I drained back in, did worry too much as I was going to take it this morning to have someone flush all the fluid out. 3 shops later (1st 2 claimed they couldn't do it without a dipstick) I find a place. I should have been tipped off when it took them almost 2 hours to do it, but I pay and get in as I have a lot to do today. Put it into R, takes about 4 seconds to engage, "strange" I say to myself but figured that the fluid needed to get some flow going. Shift into D, takes about 5 seconds drive forward about 40 yards stop, start again and it's even worse. I park it and go back into the shop to express my less than satisfied feeling as I had a decently working tranny before they touched it. The Service Adviser I believe was licking his chops at this point and said- "Man, that fluid change probably knocked some gunk loose and it plugged up something else- we can tear it open though!". I decline and nurse it home and check the fluid to see if the idiots put enough in, and they did but now I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. Anyone have an idea? If I can't come up with a sensible plan of attack it's going to the trans shop on Monday, which sucks because it was supposed to go to Port Aransas taking the wife and kids to the beach.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check to see if fluid is not to low or overfilled. your can search this site for the procedure

Did you use one of the good filters or did it have the screen (mesh) material inside? It is crucial especially on older transmissions to keep the fluid filtered properly. It is a little fishy that you only had problems after the flush. I don't buy it, but the problem is, there is no way to prove anything so unfortunately they are probably in the clear. If I was you I would start by pulling the valve body and cleaning everything really well with brake cleaner and then make sure to lubricate everything with fresh mercon V. This will also give you a chance to Torque the valve body properly and check all the servo's and solenoids. You should also check your bands to make sure they are torqued properly. I think you can still do that on your tranny. Unfortunately I am only familiar with my model the 5r55e but it is similar to the 5r55w in your truck.

Looks like low fluid was the culprit. I dropped the pan yesterday to make sure I secured the filter properly and just inspect things and when I drained it I only got 1/2 quart. I put 2 quarts in started it up and checked level and then took it for a drive. No more slamming into gear from a stop and it's running like it was before this whole crapfest started. Two things I am pissed about- 1) the shop obviously not checking the level and refusing to check it after I came back and 2) When I asked the specifically if they had Mercon V and they said yes, I saw them adding a friction mod bottle of gunk into the machine, which was obviously just regular ATF. I'm more than likely going to drop in again, clean out the valve body and replace fluid again with more Mercon V. A word of warning to those who live in South Austin- DO NOT goto Sun Auto on Slaughter Lane, they suck.

Good job on the find. I would call them and try to get some money back. You are going to need to buy new fluid and flush the thing. Not only that you will need to do it at least twice since there is no good way to flush the torque converter. Spend the extra and get the full synthetic fluid the regular mercon V is only a synth blend.

Hhaha I took mine to my local (trustworthy) mechanic like 2 months ago, same situation. Drove well for like 15 miles, then the slamming began. Took it upon myself to open up the pan, and there was barely half a quart. Drained and pumped in a couple quarts of premium tranny oil, and I've been good so far.

I had a somewhat similar experience with my 3rd gen about a month ago. Got it flushed at a Grease Monkey, there they go through the tranny cooler lines and pump in fresh fluid while old fluid pumps out and cycle fluid untill it runs clean (took 15qts). The manager claimed they used Mercon V but i'll never really know, also had the transfer case flushed, the manager told me Dexron something-or-other was the vehicle spec and receipt shows they put in just under 2qts. the morning after the flush and for 4 or 5 days after, I had horrid shuddering that was never there before and hard shifts from 2nd 3rd and O/D. I thought I was screwed... Then, to my surprise, the shifting cleared up after about a week of driving. Can't really explain why, but it's great now and shifting like normal.

I'd guess that there's some truth in the need to let the new fluid work it's way around the entire system.

Back