• Register Today It's free!

03 1st-2nd delayed shift

Matt8110

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello! I recently got an 03 Mercury Mountaineer with 160,000 miles. Very very clean car, everything works, etc.

The only problem is the trans. At first it was slipping when taking off almost like it was low on fluid, so I did research and decided to check the fluid. I parked on level ground, warmed it up, went through all the gears and then opened the center plug. Foam just poured out! So that told me air was getting into the system somehow.

I dropped the pan to find that an oring on the filter was bad, but the fluid didn't look or smell burned (a dark, but clear red) so a new filter later the slipping is fixed, but it has a hard time going from 1st-2nd, you have to get it up to a high rpm (4-5k) and then let off for it to finally shift. All other gears shift fine.

I read people complaining about delay when shifting into gear, but that isn't the case here. I can't seem to find any info on this specific problem. Any help is appreciated!

Edit: I should mention OD off light is not on. It was before the filter change, but hasn't come on since

Back