03 lincoln aviator | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

I placed a straight edge on rear of the ring gear and measured the distance from the face of the flexplate that mates with the crankshaft to the top of the ring gear.
FlexplateDepth.jpg

Then I measured the width of the straight edge and subtracted it from the total. The front to rear distance is 0.867 inches. If you measure the stock flexplate the same way we'll know if they are comparable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sooo ITS OUT!!! Mannn that was not fun..im going to drop the driveshaft and slide the tranny backwards to put the motor back in,it was not easy at all to come out..

BEER30!!!

20180310_153111.jpg
20180310_144403.jpg
20180310_144340.jpg
20180310_144329.jpg

I placed a straight edge on rear of the ring gear and measured the distance from the face of the flexplate that mates with the crankshaft to the top of the ring gear.
View attachment 156559
Then I measured the width of the straight edge and subtracted it from the total. The front to rear distance is 0.867 inches. If you measure the stock flexplate the same way we'll know if they are comparable.

I will have to bring my calipers home..the OE flex bolts look to be 1 7/8" but again ill measure with calipers tomorrow.
20180310_153451.jpg

Spun all but one rod bearings
20180310_180346.jpg
20180310_173607.jpg

20180310_180627.jpg

I guess I was lucky since my engine only had 3 spun rod bearings. Even so, the crankshaft was not useable. I wonder if it is more common for the Aviators because of the weight and gearing. I have no idea how many miles were on the engine when I bought it.

Cool, I like that electric winch/hoist. You are going to become a good engine builder with that DOHC motor. Those take a lot of time and planning, I think Dale did great with his from the thread he has going.

Cool, I like that electric winch/hoist. You are going to become a good engine builder with that DOHC motor. Those take a lot of time and planning, I think Dale did great with his from the thread he has going.
Im taking the ***** way out on this build,my machinist is going to build it all..so if anything goes wrong hes gonna find it on his door step...

Spank that thing, and the machinist, keep on him to get it done. Machine shops are notoriously slow, the racers keep at them to get ahead in their line of jobs.

Spank that thing, and the machinist, keep on him to get it done. Machine shops are notoriously slow, the racers keep at them to get ahead in their line of jobs.
I hoping ill have it back by the end of week,he usually turns my stuff around fast and especially since these are the heads he put the cams in backwards...he took some off my ranger build for that but its gota be on his mind still...

He needs to order bearings and rings still so that might be what takes the longest..

I need to order my gt500 billet pump,gt500 pan and gasket set..then flywheel if everything works for Dale

Excellent, that's the key, you are on the guy's good list(fast turn around).

Well dropped the motor off today..i bring in the heads and we look down in the intake ports and you can clearly see oil puddling up and clearly see its leaked through the guides..then we look in the exhaust ports and the valves are covered in burt carbon and you can see fresh oil trailing down leaving a clear trail of oil..

He goes ""MANN WE ****ED SOMETHING UP DIDNT WE"" my response was ""sure did and i said that was it and costed me a tear down,gaskets and ring set""....he goes ""we'll get to the bottom of it""

I sure hope he does and takes some off the bill or does it all for free..i my eyes he's basically costed me that $1,000 i paid him to fix the heads up originally. ..i want a guarantee this motor wont smoke and run right..we shall see,hopefully he gets it done FAST! !

Well, you did get a good response from him to show he can tell something's amiss. Hopefully it won't be a big problem, and he can get it done quickly.

The flexplate arrived yesterday and its not what I expected.
View attachment 156536
I checked the part number and the label shows Hays 12-071 but it was manufactured by PRW Industries. The pairs of holes have 11.5 inch spacing, there are 164 teeth and the outer diameter of the ring gear is the same as my stock ring gear. The crankshaft bolt spacing is 3 inches same as stock and my 8 bolt crank. I test fit the flexplate on the torque converter adapter and it is a good fit.
View attachment 156537
At first I thought the flexplate was warped a little because it rocked on the adapter. But after removing the flexplate, then rotating it 90 degrees it still rocked so the adapter is warped. I'm not going to worry about it.

I'm concerned about the ARP crankshaft bolts being too long. I measured the thickness of the flexplate at the crankshaft holes and compared that to the space between the face of an installed bolt that had bottomed out and crankshaft with no flexplate. It appears that the space is greater than the thickness of the flexplate. I confirmed that I had flexplate bolts instead of flywheel bolts and measured the length from face to end as 0.8 inches as specified. I'm wondering if Eagle assumed that all of their 8 bolts cranks would use flywheels and didn't drill the holes in the crank deep enough. ARP strongly states do not use washers with their bolts. I'll know more when the engine is off the stand and on the crane so I can carefully check that the bolts are not bottoming. You may want to purchase 8 of the Ford stock bolts to avoid this issue.
Ever figure out the bolt situation? ? Getting ready to order my parts

I can't test fit the flexplate to the crankshaft with the engine on the stand. I have a lot of work to do on the engine and the vehicle (super duty F-350 trans cooler and compatible power steering cooler installation) before I'll be ready to transfer the engine to the crane. Today it will finally be warm enough for me to paint the motor mount brackets. I work much slower than you. Since your stock bolts are the same length as the ARP bolts either will probably work.

I can't test fit the flexplate to the crankshaft with the engine on the stand. I have a lot of work to do on the engine and the vehicle (super duty F-350 trans cooler and compatible power steering cooler installation) before I'll be ready to transfer the engine to the crane. Today it will finally be warm enough for me to paint the motor mount brackets. I work much slower than you. Since your stock bolts are the same length as the ARP bolts either will probably work.
Gotcha..i honestly think im going to see if my buddy has some OE bolts laying around or try to order 2 more of the OE bolts...

Ordered the flex plate last night from summit ,thanks a ton for figuring that out ;)

On my 2000 Sport I reused my flexplate to crankshaft bolts but I only planned for a max of 8 psi boost. If you're eventually going to boost your 4.6L I advise against reusing the stock bolts. 180,000 psi bolts are recommended for high performance engines. The ARP 254-2901 are 200,000 psi bolts. The ARP 254-2901 installation instructions state to use Locktite 242 on the bolt threads and the provided lubricant on the seating face of the bolt head and torque the bolts in an alternating criss cross pattern to 70 ft-lbs. The torque spec in my 2004 Aviator manual specifies 59 lb-ft. The torque spec in my 2003 Explorer manual specifies 59 lb-ft for the 6 bolt crank and 63 lb-ft for a shown 8 bolt crank.

On my 2000 Sport I reused my flexplate to crankshaft bolts but I only planned for a max of 8 psi boost. If you're eventually going to boost your 4.6L I advise against reusing the stock bolts. 180,000 psi bolts are recommended for high performance engines. The ARP 254-2901 are 200,000 psi bolts. The ARP 254-2901 installation instructions state to use Locktite 242 on the bolt threads and the provided lubricant on the seating face of the bolt head and torque the bolts in an alternating criss cross pattern to 70 ft-lbs. The torque spec in my 2004 Aviator manual specifies 59 lb-ft. The torque spec in my 2003 Explorer manual specifies 59 lb-ft for the 6 bolt crank and 63 lb-ft for a shown 8 bolt crank.
I do plan on boost and dont plan any arp hardware right now..people over in the Mustang world push stock bolts including tty head bolts and stock gaskets to about 20 psi (600ish hp) before blowing gaskets ..

Id be more worried about the 4 bolts holding the tq converter adapter to the flexplate before id think the 8 bolts holding the flexplate to motor would break..

I only plan about 12-14 psi and i know its risky but for the cost of buying ALL arp i just cant afford that..thats damn near another grand for bolts...

I know its a completely different motor but my ohv had tty head bolts and blue super duty gaskets and it held 12psi and 35shot at 11:1..i also run stock flywheel bolts and main bolts on it

Ill post a couple links of stuff i did go with and my piston spec card just so i can have it on here in case i lose it..

First is the boundary pump..it uses the gt500 pump housing with steel backing plate with billiet gears..
Boundary Billet Gear Modular Oil Pump Assembly GT500 & All Modulars (Includes 3v pickup) | Apocalypse Performance

Next are the steel primary tensioners..these have been modified to keep from locking all the way open and they also have a little spacer under the plunger to keep them from collapsing completely if low oil pressure or loss of psi..

I also got spacers for the secondary tensioners that keep them from collapsing from low pressure..the passenger head tensioner is upside down and they make a tensioner that goes the right direction but is $200..this spacer also help keep the stock one from collapsing when you go WOT causing the passengers head to drop a couple degrees compared to the driverside...the spacer works well but not as well as the modified correct mounted tensioner..
Steel modified primary tensioners

These are the spacers,he doesnt list the ones for the secondary but does same thing..
Ford Modular Primary tensioner plunger spacer

And here is the modified tensioner that puts pressure on the chain the correct way,i did not order this bit got the spacers instead. .when i get my cams and put the vortech on ill be getting this and adjustable timing gears..just wanted to post this to share..
Cobra Engineering LLC

Next is the gt500 pan gasket,its a gasket/windage tray... .i wanted to get the gt500 pan also but ford just discontinued it and its like $300+..i dont know if an extra 2 qts is worth that right now,mybe when vortech goes on..
Oil Pan Gasket - Ford (BR3Z-6710-B) | TascaParts

Last is the flex plate Dale found..
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hay-12-071

And my piston spec card for my safe keeping
20180312_185323.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well got all my parts,also im deleting my egr..its in the way and a PIA,so its gone..just for a fyi the exhaust manifold hole is a m20x1.5 and the intake hole is a m22x1.5...I've had my tuner turn the egr off,he also turned the downstream O2s off,raised red line to 6800,adjusted shift points,played with timing and adjusted the speedo for 4.10 gears

Went by the machine shop and he hasn't even touched any of my stuff,swears he will get to it in next couple days tho....im ready to get this thing back on the road and hopefully run right this time!!!

Back