03 lincoln aviator | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

Will a new ecu need the key reprogrammed? ? Or is the pats a separate unit??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't want to insult you, but have you verified the firing order?

Have you checked compression? You probably do have compression if ran on starting fluid.

I don't want to insult you, but have you verified the firing order?

Have you checked compression? You probably do have compression if ran on starting fluid.
No offense taken. .yes its COP,really impossible to get wrong. . (Coil On Plug)

Yes did a compression test..it was low on all them,110-120 range but believe this is due to the over soaking going on from the injectors. .

It only ran on starter fluid AFTER we pulled plugs AND unplugged the injectors. .we then turned it over to clear the cylinders and then cleaned the plugs..put plugs back in with injectors still UNPLUGGED,it then started and ran...

Would not run with injectors plugged in and previous attempt at starter fluid

Also set the #1 to tdc on compression and verified the valves were closed..

Get spark at every plug

Tested every injector with noid light

Checked voltage from crank,cam and tps.all checked good

Dang. You've been about everywhere I would go. I bet you will have an 'ah ha' moment soon and figure it out.

Just throwing things out. Is your gas fresh?

Buddy came and hooked it up to his fancy ford machine and everything checked ok..not like a handheld or cheapo tester..thing tells and shows you EVERYTHING. ......we are lost!!

He thinks maybe a tooth off on each side..the low compression across both sides is concerning. .also dont know why sooooooo much fuel is being dumped..according to machine its working fine

Are you sure you have everything connected correctly ?

An Aussie I watch bought a V6 Escape cheap because it didn't run right. He tried everything.... But then, a viewer noted the layout of the COP wiring harness. Ford made the harness long but also funky, if you laid it out neatly, like it looks like it should go, it was WRONG. The harness had to be stretched tight and crossed the top of the motor to be connected correctly. After that car ran beautifully.

Are you sure you have everything connected correctly ?

An Aussie I watch bought a V6 Escape cheap because it didn't run right. He tried everything.... But then, a viewer noted the layout of the COP wiring harness. Ford made the harness long but also funky, if you laid it out neatly, like it looks like it should go, it was WRONG. The harness had to be stretched tight and crossed the top of the motor to be connected correctly. After that car ran beautifully.

Im like 110% sure on everything but the timing and if by chance the machinist installed the cams backwards. .like intake cam in the exhaust cam spot.

He did install the main cam sprocket on the exhaust cam for the driverside head..i had to switch that..maybe he did the cams backwards on that head????

Shot in the dark but does anyone have the part numbers for the cams??

When i got the heads the main cam gear on the driverside head was on the intake cam,obviously its spose to be on exhaust cam so i switched it..BUTTTTTTT we are now thinking he installed the cams backwards. .meaning the exhaust cam is in the intake cam spot and or he setup the driverside head thinking it was the passengers so used the wrong side cams in the wrong head..

There is a difference in the left side set and right side set of cams...also obviously a difference in intake and exhaust cams..all of which can be installed in any spot

This is starting to look more and more like the machine shops fault! !! Ill be pulling the valve covers and timing cover today to confirm...

Im almost 99.9% sure the chains are installed right.i looked them over about 10 times,my dad looked them over and i called 5 people to ask which direction the crank spins and all asked to make sure the links were all aligned up,which i AGAIN confirmed before trying to spin the motor over by hand..wish i took a picture, did of about everything else!!

The cams are backwards! !! I cant even type how mad i am,i understand mistakes happen but WTF..and he had 3 sets on the bench he was working on

He is paying for a mechanic to come here and take it back apart,switch cams and put it back together. ..thank god!!

2 days over 23 hours i checked EVERYTHING. ..i just hope it didnt bend any valves!!!!!!!!

Its clearly labeled ""IN"" and ""LX"" and they are clearly in the wrong spots...

20160822_100449_zpsc6p9ipkx.jpg

20160822_101137_zpso2tacwfw.jpg

20160822_101143_zpsazcwr0qk.jpg

Wow...

Hope it is all ok!

Wow...

Hope it is all ok!
I do too but if not he will be fixing and paying for it.if the valves are damaged its gonna take a week to get new custom ones in and not to mention if it damaged the pistons. .i did not hear any bad noise when trying to start though ..he immediately offered.hes sending a tow truck as we speak. .

Cant even explain the headaches,time and money wasted trying to figure this out :(

O also in my defense. .before someone says i should have seen the labeling. ...when the cam gears are timed correctly,the white labeling was on the bottom of the cams where i couldnt see it..it was only after i pulled the cover and rotated the cams to find parts numbers did it jump out at me...

Also before i bumped it to rotate the cams,i had plugs,injectors and valve cover off the driverside only..when i bumped it,it fired up and ran on just the passengers side cylinders!!! Scared the pee outa me!!

So he didnt pick it up yesterday. .called him this morning and offered for me to fix it and he take care of me on the 4.0 block he has..he agreed and said name anything i want..he also thanked me because now his guy can stay inside and build motors,hopefully correctly. .said he wasnt keen on working on someone's else's vehicle anyways..plus had never worked on a aviator, didnt even know what it was...

If you want something done right.......
Just glad you got it figured out. And I can not wait to hear all about the new motor for your Ranger, when it is all done. Thing is going to be BAD @ss!

After switching cams to right spot she fired right up..runs smooth as can be...what a headache! !NEVER GIVE UP!!

20160823_222319_zpsr9pvb4n5.jpg

20160823_222334_zpstr0ijjhr.jpg

20160823_222349_zpsvsothd6m.jpg

Looks good, nice job on the paint too!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, nice job on the paint too!
Thanks and appreciate all your help also.. still need to fill the tranny up but that can wait till tomorrow

Back