• Register Today It's free!

03 XLT V6 Explorer... 156k miles

timp123

Reaction score
City, State
Georgetown, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.0 v6
I bought our Explorer 3.5 years ago.. it had 47k miles... it now has 156k miles.. running good, I've kept the oil changed regularly.. very few minor repairs but nothing serious...

I need to keep it for at least another year, maybe 2.. and have never had a tune up or any of the services done to it.. I've been told.. that there is some oil leaking from the top of the engine block.. (PCV, or valve covers?) I occasionally smell (not always), Antifreeze.. just a hint... but temp guage stays down...

So, my question is this...

Should I invest money into getting the gaskets replaced on top of the engine where the oil is leaking.. & have a tune up? (It sometimes, not always, sputters when I first start it, till I hit road speeds then it stops) and it's only a slight sputter... sometimes I notice it, but my wife doesn't)

I was ballparked a price for the gasket replacements & tuneup.. of around $1000.00, to me, he quoted that price, just a little too quickly.. (like he needs to buy something, thats a $1000.00)

But maybe I'm just wrong, and he knows what he's talking about...

Open for suggestions.. ideas.. and ?

I'll keep looking, but I am also curious to know what the towing weight is.. I'm looking to buy a camper/travel trailer.. and the tow weight VS dry weight is very confusing to me.

Thanks again & I GREAT Appreciate any and all input..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

v6- keep and ear out for timing chain. tranny flush tranny flush tranny flush. did I mention tranny flush?? plugs and wires can get expensive- ford told me 800 parts and labor... paid 100 for parts and 300 at a garage. get a PCM update too. u'll notice a driving difference. (tranny shifts much better)

v6- keep and ear out for timing chain. tranny flush tranny flush tranny flush. did I mention tranny flush?? plugs and wires can get expensive- ford told me 800 parts and labor... paid 100 for parts and 300 at a garage. get a PCM update too. u'll notice a driving difference. (tranny shifts much better)

Ah yes, I did have that done.. tranny flush & filter at around 100k miles. :)

PCM Update? I'll have to look that up, don't even know what that is..

Timing chain... is this style of engine to locks up, when the timing chain breaks? Was wondering about that...

Thanks RKelly!

Wow, that thing like to stay on the road.
To have a good mechanic do the job, $1k is good. Just make sure that it gets plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter and a throttle body spray. Should also include an oil change because of the gasket job.

Wow, that thing like to stay on the road.
To have a good mechanic do the job, $1k is good. Just make sure that it gets plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter and a throttle body spray. Should also include an oil change because of the gasket job.

Oh ya, been all over the place in it.. from New York to the Keys..

lol. not to emphasize it too much, but get another one done. heard after 100k you should get one every 30-50K, dont forget the transfer case flush. the pcm is what i believe to be the computer- i felt an immediate difference in how my truck drove. i think only done at ford- tell them you want a flash of your pcm. it'll run you $90. i dont know if the chain will lock up, but there are actually 2 chains on our trucks from what I understand. I can hear mine rattling at certain rpms- it started around 100K, and i am just hitting 180 next week. no change. but I dont beat on it like i used too- plus with gas goin up I keep it around 2K rpms and get 21mpg in summer. I actually wouldn't tow with the v6. i would just feel funny about it- feel like there isnt enough power. but i've never towed anything so id keep asking others for that. Although generally its been awesome, my suspension repairs lately have been racking up. I've spent about 2500 on all around stuff this year and still have 2 more things to replace- front right spring and front bearing I think. Gonna be another 800. but not a penny beforehand. after that, mine'll be 100% (minus chain noise and rear differential whine- but neither have gotten worse, knock on wood) and then im sellin her to buy an aviator.

If your Explorer has lasted you this long and treated you this well, and it appears that this explorer has been well maintained, I would go ahead and just keep driving it until a catastrophic engine or transmission failure. Who knows you may get another 50k miles our of it.

Save yourself from the car payments.:thumbsup:

Was wondering if they figured out what was leaking? That $1k seems high for a set of valve cover gaskets and a tuneup. If they need to pull the intake gasket too, its not that bad.

Was wondering if they figured out what was leaking? That $1k seems high for a set of valve cover gaskets and a tuneup. If they need to pull the intake gasket too, its not that bad.

My explorer is now in the shop, I checked out another place that came highly recommended from some friends that I've known a long time, they ballparked me a little over $600.00 to replace both valve cover gaskets, and do a tuneup which includes plugs, wires, fuel & air filter.. I just talked to them today.. they said also found that the PCV valve (I think, thats what he said it was) looked like it was leaking as much oil as the left bank on the valve cover gasket.. the threading seemed to be stripped out and it was "wobbling" in there.

Was hoping it was going to be done today, but looks like it will be tomorrow.

Next items on the list, in no particular order:

Rubber shifter boot (seal) replaced $28.00? (Picked this up today 02/18/11)
Drivers side, rear passenger door window regulator replaced: $130.00 (Picked this up today 02/18/11)

Door pillers sanded & repainted: $20.00?
replace & repaint Rear deck lid filler? thats cracked down the middle, like all the others.. (not sure on the costs of that yet...)

I imagine then, I'll spend some money to get the thing detailed inside & out & steam clean the engine compartment.. She should be feeling really good then :)

My explorer is now in the shop, I checked out another place that came highly recommended from some friends that I've known a long time, they ballparked me a little over $600.00 to replace both valve cover gaskets, and do a tuneup which includes plugs, wires, fuel & air filter.. I just talked to them today.. they said also found that the PCV valve (I think, thats what he said it was) looked like it was leaking as much oil as the left bank on the valve cover gasket.. the threading seemed to be stripped out and it was "wobbling" in there.

not for nothing but 600 for all of that seems very high if you price out just the parts that's less than half and all of the stuff done in a tune up can be done urself with little research, im not sure about the valve cover gasket but seems that u just take apart, replace, then reassemble. Im in the market for a tuneup and i will be doing it myself to save mucho dollares :)

If your Explorer has lasted you this long and treated you this well, and it appears that this explorer has been well maintained, I would go ahead and just keep driving it until a catastrophic engine or transmission failure. Who knows you may get another 50k miles our of it.

Save yourself from the car payments.:thumbsup:

Thats my plan.. I'm hoping to at least get 200k+ miles out of it.. which I drive about 30k a year, so that won't take me long! I'm not rough on any car I drive & I am ususally pretty close on oil changes.. every 3k-4k miles...

I figure though, once I past 200k, I might as well keep her till she locks up.. because I don't see getting much in return, compared to what she will give me.. as long as I keep up on the maintanance.

Then I guess.. I might take the trouble to part her out on eBay.. sadly, most cars are worth more in parts, than whole.. if you can & have the time to mess with it...

But, my Explorer is getting nervous.. so I better stop talking about her like that :)

not for nothing but 600 for all of that seems very high if you price out just the parts that's less than half and all of the stuff done in a tune up can be done urself with little research, im not sure about the valve cover gasket but seems that u just take apart, replace, then reassemble. Im in the market for a tuneup and i will be doing it myself to save mucho dollares :)

I agree, most of the cost of this job, so I've heard, been told.. is getting to the items that need replaced. Once I get the receipt.. I'll do a break down & see where all my money went..

Some stuff, I'll try & do my self... this was just a little too intimidating to me. Being that I had to remove alot to just to get to what needed to be done.

Much better price than a grand. Ive had similar jobs done and I believe that my mechanic would be in that range. Should run muuuch better with the tuneup. Good job

Much better price than a grand. Ive had similar jobs done and I believe that my mechanic would be in that range. Should run muuuch better with the tuneup. Good job

Ok, here's the break down of the cost for my work

Parts total $187.47
item price:
Fuel filter $19.23
air filter $18.32
Wires $51.63
plugs $21.00
valve cover gasket set $37.98
pcv $10.38
Intake set $28.93

Labor: $432.00

tax: $13.12

Total cost $632.59

Today I picked up the steering column rubber seal that goes around the shifter & keyhole that has come apart on mine.. simple job for tomorrow.. already found the write up.. Most Excellent!

Also picked up the drivers side rear window regulator assembly today... plan on doing that this weekend... that will be odd... that window hasn't worked for over 2 years.. :D I was going to get to it!!

I think thats a fair price to have a professional do all the work. I would take my truck back there in the future.
Well, how does it run? I had just the plugs done at 45k because of hard starting. Yours probably feels like the mighty 4.6 compared to when you brought it in! Hehe
Dont guess you saved the old plugs did ya? Never seen a 150k mile plug before.

I think thats a fair price to have a professional do all the work. I would take my truck back there in the future.
Well, how does it run? I had just the plugs done at 45k because of hard starting. Yours probably feels like the mighty 4.6 compared to when you brought it in! Hehe
Dont guess you saved the old plugs did ya? Never seen a 150k mile plug before.

No, I didn't save them... not sure if they were the original plugs or not.. it had 47k miles when I bought it... but chances are, they hadn't replaced them yet... the mechanic did say, they didn't look too bad. But he laughed about the fuel filter.. he said he's pretty sure that had never been replaced, it looked pretty original he said.

Ok, this past week, I took it to the local dealerships & had the PCM TCM update as recommended on here.. She does seem to be running better. The service tech laughed.. he said there were 50 updates for my Explorer! I'm guessing it had never been done? I'm trying to get a print out of the updates.. to see if thats possible..

I guess the next things on the list will have to wait intill the money tree recovers from this last episode :) I want to check out the suspension see what needs to be done on it... tires aren't showing any odd wear.. but still at 150k miles.. somethings surely not like it should be.

Oh.. 1 last question (for now).. how does 1 tell if they have a class II or Class III hitch? I've seen some explorers with a smaller hitch, mines the larger.. so with the plug in on the side.. so I am assuming it's the class III, but.. we all know about assuming...

bigger one is the Class III, what the Axle code on the door jamb?

here is a pic of a stock Class II and a aftermarket Class III just to show you the differences in sizes.

Attachments

• img050sm.jpg
    img050sm.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 846

bigger one is the Class III, what the Axle code on the door jamb?

here is a pic of a stock Class II and a aftermarket Class III just to show you the differences in sizes.

Awesome, the size of your class III is what I have, built in the bumper like you have, only yours is the class II

I was reviewing my towing & trying to make sure I understood what I have and if the camper I just bought will be an issue or not.

The axel code on the door jamb? Did not know there was one.. I'll look it up & post.

Thanks for the pic! Really appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is actually someone else '06 i believe and that Class II is welded on so, to add a classIII its got to go below. Up to your '03 and my '04 its a bolt on hitch. So I easily upgraded to a ClassIII for $50 and 20min. Came with the 7pin harness too, all plug and play.

Back