04 Mountaineer - Loses power on Highway | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Mountaineer - Loses power on Highway

ekubischta

Reaction score
City, State
Bismarck, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
Hi There - new to the forums - Long time Ford Guy - Drove a 92 Explorer up until last year, now drive an 04 Mountaineer -

My Mercury Mountaineer - 2004. Driving down highway at 55 - Engine loses power, oil pressure goes to zero and we pull over. In about 5 or 6 minutes we can start it again and go. Happened twice now in a couple days - Usually after driving for a while (say 15 or 20 minutes) Any ideas?

My thought is that the Oil Pressure Gauge went down because the engine was turning off. Oil levels seemed good - Added a little, but, basically we weren't low on oil.

It seems to be related to the heat? - Or the longer the vehicle runs?

Any ideas would be a great help so I don't get stuck at the repair shop with repairs I don't need...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it slowy die, or instantly shut off, if its slow there could be many things it could be.

but if its a quick shut off then its probly related to fuel delivery

whoops thats no good

It seems to "lurch" for a lack of a better word, I can still see RPM's on the Tach, then after a few little "lurches" I am not able to increase speed anymore and it starts to slow down. As I start to slow and pull over, then it dies.

Once stopped, I am unable to start it for a few minutes. Then after 5 minutes or so, I can start it and be on my way for a little while.

Back