04 XLT Remote start advice

ericsauvage08

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT, 14 Limited
Gents-

I am looking to put a remote start in my 04 XLT. I've read a couple of the older threads here and CodeAlarm (by Audiovox??) seems to come up a lot. I'm not looking for fancy alarms and the ability to start my truck from 2 states over. I also would prefer to not chop up all the wires for an install.

My budget tops out around $200. I dont mind having a separate remote for the keychain, but would prefer to integrate to 1 remote. Alarm system doesn't matter. Maybe something with a mid range for starting distance. Not sure what 1 way anD 2 way mean.... Finally I will pay a little extra for good stuff like better materials (metal keyfob, etc) or warranty.

Does anyone have any compatible suggestions or advice on what I need to be looking for? Any personal experience with the 04?

Thanks so much!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1-way has no confirmation back to the remote that the car actually started... only works well if you can see the car out the window and notice the headlights turned on to confirm the starter received your signal... IMHO.. 1-way is not worth it.

2-way the remote actually indicated that the starter worked...

Remote starters are a pain to install, I would definitely recommend getting it professionally installed. Most places that install custom car stereos will install remote starters.

Are you looking on having it installed for you, or are you going to try??

$200 is enough if you install it, but not if you bring it somewhere. Your truck also has the PATS system in it. you will need some sort of bypass module to bypass the PATS while the truck is running on the remote start.

95% of the remote starters out there can also be used for the keyless entry. The only ones that i am aware of that dont are the "1-button" starters. these are just simply a starter.

There are many brands out there. compustar, audiovox (code alarm), dei (viper, python, clifford), autopage.

I have installed all of these brands over the years, and they are all just as good as the others if installed correctly.

I always like to say, you can have a $500 remote start and a ****ty installer and have nothing but troubles, or a $100 remote starter and have nothing but a great expirence.

keep in mind most of your 1-way units will advertise "up to" 1000' range, this range is truely abotu a thrid of that.

Thanks for the input. I shouldn't have much of a problem installing myself, it's the cutting of wires that makes me nervous, mainly because I just don't know about the entire electrical system and how everything interacts should something go wrong or if I need to make a decision.

I had a good experience with a stereo install at my local best buy, I wonder if the install is free if I buy from them like the stereo was.

Looks like 2-way is the way to go.

I live in Detroit if there are any recommendations for installers/places to buy the remote start.

I think Best Buy is free install, but the price of the starter is higher.

Most places will warranty the installation for lifetime and program any future remotes for free.

Thanks for the input. I shouldn't have much of a problem installing myself, it's the cutting of wires that makes me nervous, mainly because I just don't know about the entire electrical system and how everything interacts should something go wrong or if I need to make a decision.

I had a good experience with a stereo install at my local best buy, I wonder if the install is free if I buy from them like the stereo was.

Looks like 2-way is the way to go.

I live in Detroit if there are any recommendations for installers/places to buy the remote start.

No offense but a remote start should be left up to professionals. Even though its an 04 and there really is nothing computer controlled in it you still have to deal with the PATS system. If you somehow make it "forget" the keys during the installation, you need to have it brought to a dealer to re-program or a good locksmith..

Be aware of your big box stores. They have some great installer, but most of them are just "starting out" 1-2 years as an installer. They may be "mecp" certified, but that is really just a book test (trust me bby pushes this) it doesnt show real world practice.

look into some of the "ma-pa" type sores too. most of these are where your veteran installer usually are.

Ended up with this unit: http://www.abcwarehouse.com/product_catalog/pc_proddetails.asp~assort_id~1338~prod_ID~20875

^plus the PATS system - - out the door, installed (basic install, no hatch or key lock) was ~$330, at pick-up I ended up buying the $25 extended warranty mainly for the 2way key remote since replacement if it should break is pricey. To get the key locks and the hatch set-up would have been an extra ~$70 which I thought was outrageous. Since I really only wanted this for the winter I'll carry the 2 remotes (keyless and remote start) during the winter then take it off in the summer. Chances are I'll spoil myself with the remote start this winter and want to pay the money to have a cooler car in the summer. I'll shop around a bit though before going back....am I correct that $70 ($25 + $45) is outrageous to get the door locks and hatch hooked up on the remote start key fob?

The installer at the store came recommended, everything went smoothly, from drop-off to pick up it was 2.5hrs. Installation has lifetime warranty.

Overall, I am pleased. Glad I just went to the store and had someone put together everything for me. I am an Amazon/internet shopper and may have saved some $$, but then had to pay for the install and it likely would have been a wash. The viper unit I priced at BBY was marked up $130 from what it was on Amazon.

Also, a note for any future installs - mine is compatible with the "Smart Start" system which is essentially a cell phone app that can act as the key fob and start, unlock, etc your car. HOWEVER, this system is only good, as of 10/2011, with GSM networks aka not Verizon (VZ is CDMA). On top of that the reviews from users on GSM networks are generally poor - take that for what its worth not knowing who the reviewers are or how educated they are to the product.

Thanks for the help, All

Sorry I found this too late. If anyone else finds this thread, the best place to get a remote start that you can easily install yourself is here:

http://www.autoalarmpro.com

You pay extra for systems you can get a bit cheaper elsewhere, but they set up the wiring for your vehicle and send you everything you need for the install, with great instructions. Their tech support is great as well.

Back