05 explorer 4.6 4x4 whining & thumping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 explorer 4.6 4x4 whining & thumping

Rudy Stork

Reaction score
City, State
West columbia sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 explorer 4x4 V8 xlt
Callsign
Onebigbird
I recently bought my 05 from a indv, with knowledge that it need a fuel pump. After many attempts I got the correct pump, one a l ready in a tank from pull a part.
We I test drive it and at 20mph I get a whinning sound then like a surging thump jolt you can feel it throughout the vehicle.
It feels like it's coming from the back of the truck but I'm not positive.
I am really needing this truck to be able to go on the road it's my only vehicle now, and I have got to go to work

The whining is usually a rear diff issue (I've had it for about 180K). The thump/jolt could be anything in the drive train. I had something similar when the parking brake shoes debonded and were causing problems with jolting.

Regarding the thump /jolt issue; I had 2 rear tires replaced on my 04 EB V8 and noticed that on deceleration and coasting, the vehicle would jerk and thump. This was due to not replacing all 4 tires and the front 2 being more worn than the rear, causing the vehicle to engage and disengage the auto 4WD system, thinking it was slipping. Replacing the front 2 tires to match the rear resolved the problem so I would suggest making sure tire depth it very close or the same.

Yes sir done
Regarding the thump /jolt issue; I had 2 rear tires replaced on my 04 EB V8 and noticed that on deceleration and coasting, the vehicle would jerk and thump. This was due to not replacing all 4 tires and the front 2 being more worn than the rear, causing the vehicle to engage and disengage the auto 4WD system, thinking it was slipping. Replacing the front 2 tires to match the rear resolved the problem so I would suggest making sure tire depth it very close or the same.
Yes sir done and done, I thought the idea far fetched when it was first proposed to me, but that was my problem completely.

Back