• Register Today It's free!

06 4L explorer

arthur gordon

Reaction score
City, State
st louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer eddie baur
My mechanic just informed me, I need a new engine 06 explorer vin E 4L 4WD, eddie baur I'm trying to decide should I buy reman. or used? Earlier this year I had reman transmission installed. Does anybody have suggestions what and where to buy one? I welcome any and all suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do not buy a used engine. There is no guarantee it is not on its way out also. Just do a reman enigne.

My mechanic just informed me, I need a new engine 06 explorer vin E 4L 4WD, eddie baur I'm trying to decide should I buy reman. or used? Earlier this year I had reman transmission installed. Does anybody have suggestions what and where to buy one? I welcome any and all suggestions.
Out of curiosity, what prompted the engine replacement?

Timing chain went out, when the engine was pulled. I was informed that rods and valves were bad

Timing chain went out, when the engine was pulled. I was informed that rods and valves were bad
You were informed.......I wonder what they meant by that? Rods and valves are bad is utter gibberish without further explanations. "Rods": rod BEARINGS?? tie rods?? I once heard of a guy who "threw a tie rod"!

Valves are bad. ALL of them? Accepting this diagnosis is like blindly accepting none at all.

Get more conclusive information!

I went by today valves are bent and something is holding compression

I went by today valves are bent and something is holding compression
OK, one bent valve if cranking still possible, one cylinder is dead. Maybe fixable, maybe not, depending on internal findings. The best alternative IMO is, if keeping the vehicle a long time is expected, is installation of a remanufactured engine, from a reputable source. No used engine.

Not only a bent valve but broken plastic tension.
Keeping the vehicle is my intent I have called and looked up on the internet a number of reman engines companies and none them seem very reputable. Can you or anyone else give me direction on a reputable company or two?
Thank you

Not only a bent valve but broken plastic tension.
Keeping the vehicle is my intent I have called and looked up on the internet a number of reman engines companies and none them seem very reputable. Can you or anyone else give me direction on a reputable company or two?
Thank you
I purchased a reman automatic transmission from Ford. It functioned properly, cost a bit more, but warranty exceeded all others. Engine not sure of. Have always heard good things about Jasper reman engines, though.

I have read about a used engine, but replace the timing chain and tensioners. Also replace all of the gaskets. A reman engine will cost $4300.00 and a used one will cost $2300.00. I'm just having a hard time spending $5k and more, with labor, on a truck only worth $7k at the most. What is your opinion?

Have you asked your mechanic about the cost of rebuilding your engine ?

I don’t think that is an option I am looking into buying a motorcraft reman. I looked into jasper and they are not highly rated as i Thought by the BBB. Jasper appears to be the highest of them all We are talking $1k less or more there is an on line auto part store that says they sell motorcraft remand I’ll check for sure

how many miles did you get out of the original engine arthur ?

Wow, that's not many mines. Sorry to hear you already need an engine....

That really surprised me. I had 2000 explorer for 13 years, 220000 miles . I had a trans rebuilt, so i went into it expecting trans to go, not the engine too. Earlier this year I put a reman trans in it., now an engine. Had I not have so much money into this truck I would get rid of it. It is very clean no rust anywhere. I've had it for 3 years and only put 28,000 miles on it. I change my oil religiously, but I don't about the previous owner.

We have 108k miles on our 2007. We bought it 2 years ago this month with 90k on it. The po seems to have taken good care of it. From what I've read on this forum the 4.0L changing the oil more frequently than the Ford recommendation of every 5k miles pays off so I change ours at every 3500 miles. I hope we can get 200k+ before any major mechanical failures.
<edit> I have a neighbor lady that has a 2008 4.0L with 288k on it and has never had a major mechanical failure. She is a widow and nobody drives it but her and she had the dealer do all of the maintenance on it.

Back