'06 Driver's Door Lock on Retirement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'06 Driver's Door Lock on Retirement

Scorpion8

Reaction score
City, State
SouthEast Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
My '06's driver's side door lock has started deciding when and if to unlock when the key fob is actuated. Sometimes it takes two or three presses. Likewise I have to visually inspect the pop-up to make sure it goes down each time when I hot "lock" so the car doesn't sit unlocked somewhere. Anybody experience this? Easy replacement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thoroughly flush and cycle the door latch with penetrant followed by lubricating with white lithium spray. If not, probably a faulty latch.

Thoroughly flush and cycle the door latch with penetrant ....

I did that part using Royal Purple MaxFilm Penetrating Lubricant. Seems to work for the moment, then goes back to being wonky. I have not used white lithium grease on it yet.

Okay, the grease did nothing to help. But neither does Ford's parts list on various online sites. I don't need a new cylinder or latch, but do I want the lock? Lock actuator? Lock assembly? Ford lists so many similar parts (and explains none of them) that I'm not sure.

Anybody had this issue and got any insight?

Open the door and look for a small broken spring inside the latch. Often times it may fall inside the bottom of the door. Since locking AND unlocking are intermittent, and you didn't mention unusual buzzing noises, it's unlikely the actuator solenoid. These latches are notorious for failing internal springs that usually involves replacement. Repair can be tricky because it involves removing all the linkages and reassembly in a very confined, dark space. Check the latch with a flashlight and report back.

I have been unable to locate any missing parts or springs as suggested above. There are no buzzing noises. It just sometimes takes 3-4 times of locking/unlocking with the key fob to get the drivers door lock to actually actuate. All the other door locks are working fine. Are there any technical service bulletins or notes about the locking systems?

Okay, replaced the door lock actuator today, Ford SW-6952 for the LH (driver's side) door lock actuator. Believe it or not the best price was on Amazon.com. If you're going to do this, watch out for the orange nylon bushing where the door lock rod is affixed into the actuator. They crumble with age. I found a replacement at O'Reilly's in a Dorman universal door lock rod retainer package, so that was solvable. Door lock now actuates every time, and is quite strong.

Back