'08 Explorer LTD capless fuel tank: a keyless fuel cap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'08 Explorer LTD capless fuel tank: a keyless fuel cap

AS27

Reaction score
City, State
Moscow, Russia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 LTD
I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone could let me know whether this fuel cap:

MOTORCRAFT Part # FC1054 {#8L2Z9030A}; Right Hand; w/Tether; Regular

fits the "capless" fuel tank of a '08 Explorer in place of the stock cap w/flat key, code #8L2Z9030B.

I found it here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php

It sells for about USD 12 but ships to Moscow for an additional USD 170 :(
I'd like to be sure it fits before I decide.

Alex

What I been told about the capless system on our trucks is that there is really no way for anyone to get gas out of the filler. The design of the filler does not allow a hose to open the internal trap. You will also notice there is a special funnel you need to use to fill the tank if not using a standard pump.

If yours is like mine, there is no threads on the filler to even screw a cap on the filler.

To me, the actual problem is to protect fuel from water, dust, and other free additives. I've bought the truck new less than a month ago, and its capless filler came with a small cap equipped with a flat key. No threads. When the key turns, it moves a kind of stoppers out of the cap that fit inside the filler orifice. Each time I wash the truck with a Karcher, there are at least a few drops of water around the filler neck.

Back