08 ST.... Spark Plugs... help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tike

Reaction score
City, State
Greater Philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Ford Sport Trac XLT
Hey yall, i want to replace the spark plugs.... i am aware of the 3 piece spark plugs that plague the TRITON engine and other ford engines... any idea if this is an issue in the 08 Sport Trac or was it fixed switching to the Gen2? trying to feel it out, probably going to buy and extractor just incase

UPDATE: its done! i replaced all the plugs using the ford mech tutorials and it went smoothe. turns out they were replaced 50K prior. so they werent bad.

unfortunately, still have a rough idle. i replaced my fuel filter and ran sea foam through to clean the injectors. looks like im buying a coil pack. motorcraft or bust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have black coil packs, with black boots connecting to the plugs.

Follow FordTech's video in the first link, post #1.

doesnt look to promising here ... :banghead:

How many miles since the last plug change? If unsure, what's the mileage?

ive had two plugs replaced in the last 12 months. i want to do them all and coils. because im idling rough and they are probly oem. bough used with 80K now at (no joke) 123456.7... hit it today LOL

any recomendations on tools? i have a cordless impact. should i just buy a pneumatic impact? i always wanted one never had a reason to get it, having a cordless one. and what everyones opinion on getting the magnetic 9/16th sparkplug puller... looks like it would be bad at loosing and no more effective than a magnetic tip screw driver...

I'm going to follow this thread, but let those with actual hands on experience with these two-piece plugs chime in. One thing most recommend is using Techron fuel injector cleaner to loosen carbon build up PRIOR to removal. Lots of info on various Ford forums, some with good results, some not. I'll continue watching and wish you good luck.

I will soon be doing mine for the 2nd time. The 1st time was at about 100k miles and I am now approaching 150k. The truck runs fine but I am hoping by changing them sooner that they will come out with a little less drama than last time.

When I replaced the first set I tried spraying Seafoam into the throttle body and filling the plug sockets with a mixture of PB Blaster and Kroil and letting them soak overnight after breaking them loose a quarter turn. Still had three out of eight break off. However, I had also purchased the Lisle extractor tool beforehand so it really was no big deal getting the broken off ground strap ends out. The Lisle tool is essentially a big easy-out.

I also tried a set of Champion one-piece replacement plugs but one of those fouled out after only about 2k miles. So I went back to the Motorcraft two-piece OEM plugs. Before installing those I coated the non-threaded portion of the tips with anti-seize. I also replaced the original coils with Accel coils at the same time that I switched back to the Motorcraft plugs.

This has been posted on numerous times and everyone has a technique. Mine is make sure the engine is warm and NOT cold or too hot. From cold let it idle about 5 minutes to warm up the engine. Then do plugs down 1 side of the engine. Then fire it up for a few minutes and do the remaining side. I use an 3/8 snap on pneumatic impact and a 9/16 extended swivel socket (all 1 peice). I don't crack them loose, run any additives before or anything other than warming the engine. I put the socket on the plug, connect the impact and let it rip till it's out. I don't bump it either, full trigger from get go. I've done more of these tune ups than I have fingers and toes and the ONLY plugs I have broken is in cold motors. Of course not all 3v motors come in the shop running so the warming up part may not be an option.

Also don't bother with autolite or champion plugs. Motorcraft is the only way to go.

Hey yall, i want to replace the spark plugs.... i am aware of the 3 piece spark plugs that plague the TRITON engine and other ford engines... any idea if this is an issue in the 08 Sport Trac or was it fixed switching to the Gen2? trying to feel it out, probably going to buy and extractor just incase
Just replaced mine on an '09 Sport Trac two weeks ago & had no problems removing the plugs, they were one piece plugs.

Just replaced mine on an '09 Sport Trac two weeks ago & had no problems removing the plugs, they were one piece plugs.

Mid 2008 there was change over in cylinder head and new 1 pc spark plugs were used. Black coil boots = 2 pc, brown coil boots = 1 pc. In both cases only Motorcraft plugs should be used.

read somewhere that motorcraft one piece. sp-515 (or something) are what we can use now instead of the two piece plugs. can anyone validate? looking to order everything this weekend
disregard thmy previous post ^^^

**** the sp515 are for the 5.4L ONLY. ***

SP-514 and Autolit H1 can be used in the 4.6L 3v. heard mixed reviews on the Champion one piece... which is of course what i wanted to use..

Update: ordered most the supplies i need. waiting till next pay check to order the plugs and coils w/ boots. going with motorcraft sp-514 and unsure on the coils yet.

update. parts are all ordered. i think i am going to replace the ignition coils too. anyone know anything about the duralast version of the dg511?

Back