10 runs of 1/0 in 2nd gen | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10 runs of 1/0 in 2nd gen

and you lose power just in the cable itself etc.

mostly- he is just INSANE so leave it at that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could see maybe not running fuses if it was a dedicated SPL vehicle like Alma"s Bronco but you state it is a daily driver. accidents happen and the little resistance you encounter is acceptable to burning down your vehicle.

What amps are you running that you need so much amperage. why not just run a couple of 4/0s.

Tim

almas bronco is actually a dedicated SQ vehicle now not SPL. With that said it is still fairly loud at 154+ db

If I get into an accident that has enough impact to either severe those wires or ground out the powers...I'll more than likely have more problems than just catching fire.

As for why he didn't run just a few runs of 4/0s, I'm going to assume that, as previously stated, he's an SPL guy competitor, and they do things a tad differently.

Basically, it comes down to the fact that a run or two of 4/0 would have to be sent to a distro block and you lose power there, you get the picture.

im running 4 memphis mojo 4kw amps....2 strapped pairs at 0.5 ohms per pair. 0.25 ohms per amp. for the price, size, and current capability the knuconcetpz 1/0 was the best bang for your buck.
I could see maybe not running fuses if it was a dedicated SPL vehicle like Alma"s Bronco but you state it is a daily driver. accidents happen and the little resistance you encounter is acceptable to burning down your vehicle.

and you lose power just in the cable itself etc.

mostly- he is just INSANE so leave it at that

you would lose power in the cable itself because if the resistance inside it. As minimal as it is. If I were to replace my 10 runs of 1/0 with 10 runs of 4/0 it would more than likely have less resistance. Although I think it would be nearly impossible to run the wires safely the way Ive done it.

Theres a competitor in the US that uses a 2nd gen explorer that has 64 runs of 1/0 wire to distro blocks in the rear. Thats 32 positive and 32 negative. For one battery and 4 amps if im not mistaken.

IF any of this post is wrong I'll correct it in the morning...Im pretty drunk right now and this has taken me like 15 minutes to do

Well you need to review car audio history Almas bronco was originally built as a dedicated SPL vehicle. Built to go against Mark Fakuda's S-10 blazer. Breaking the world record several times. She recently rebuilt it for SQ.

Funny thing those 1/0 cables in the pictures don't look like the knuconcepts 1/0 I have. Just seems a little small.

PS: I think you are right, Expo 5.0

If I get into an accident that has enough impact to either severe those wires or ground out the powers...I'll more than likely have more problems than just catching fire.

Well seeing that the wires are nicely run right above the fuel tank on the truck, I dont think he has a thing to worry about if there is a accident that would cause the wires to short on the body
Atleast for the sake of the other people on the road seeing you want to daily driver this thing, disconnect the hot leads from the front when your not competing

Well you need to review car audio history Almas bronco was originally built as a dedicated SPL vehicle. Built to go against Mark Fakuda's S-10 blazer. Breaking the world record several times. She recently rebuilt it for SQ.

Funny thing those 1/0 cables in the pictures don't look like the knuconcepts 1/0 I have. Just seems a little small.

PS: I think you are right, Expo 5.0

Thanks for the lesson but maybe you should review your facts. Her new JBL silver bronco is a totally different vehicle from the old SPL bronco.

This is knuconceptz KLM cable. Its their newest and cheapest stuff.

Well seeing that the wires are nicely run right above the fuel tank on the truck, I dont think he has a thing to worry about if there is a accident that would cause the wires to short on the body
Atleast for the sake of the other people on the road seeing you want to daily driver this thing, disconnect the hot leads from the front when your not competing

i disconnected the hot leads last year for daily driving but this one I'll probably leave as is.

I feel im barking up the wrong tree on this forum when posting pics of my SPL setup. Its out of most of your elements. If someone came on here and started talking about nuclear physics probably noone would care or understand either.

Fuses are not necessary

I was going to use Knu for my 1/0 ga. wires when I purchased 150 ft. of 1/0 ga. about a month ago. I did not have any reviews on the stuff and was afraid to purchase it. I kind of feel like I should have now. I spent too much on my wire. I also do believe that 1/0 is more flexible and is much easier to run through a vehicle rather than 4/0. two cents.

get used to having everyone looking at you confused...

they do it with everything i ever post

I have used Knukoncepts stuff in a couple installs very good quality.

Building a SPL vehicle isn't rocket science. Just a properly designed enclosure and a lot of power and subs. Any moron can do it. Making it sound good and be loud is another story. We on here are interested in a safe and loud vehicle. Not a fire hazard.

Tim

I was going to use Knu for my 1/0 ga. wires when I purchased 150 ft. of 1/0 ga. about a month ago. I did not have any reviews on the stuff and was afraid to purchase it. I kind of feel like I should have now. I spent too much on my wire. I also do believe that 1/0 is more flexible and is much easier to run through a vehicle rather than 4/0. two cents.

ive dealt with knu a few times now and only have good things to say. This KLM 1/0 I just purchased isnt as flexible as I would have thought but it really makes no difference to me. Ive used welding cable for 6 years and its more than flexible enough for any install ive ever done. The guys at knu return emails extremely quickly which is another added bonus. Very personable company.

Building a SPL vehicle isn't rocket science. Just a properly designed enclosure and a lot of power and subs. Any moron can do it. Making it sound good and be loud is another story. We on here are interested in a safe and loud vehicle. Not a fire hazard.

Tim

that statement tells me you know absolutely nothing about SPL. Probably best to post about topics you have atleast the slightest clue about.

it's just like people who think that for offroading all you need is a huge lift...

or people who think that to go fast at the dragstrip all you need is hp...

both are true relative to stock- you add a lift and it gets better, or more hp and it gets faster... but very quickly you hit a "wall" where that just isn't the case anymore and it becomes all about intelligence, planning, experimenting etc. they are all the same and deserve equal respect.

wow, expo and wagonized are just too smuckin fart for all of us newbs around here..... you two need to take it easy......

whoa-

i didn't attack anyone

and i don't do spl

it is very ignorant to think that it's all about throwing equipment into a vehicle though

i thought my post was a pretty benign way of making my point

I have been competing in car audio since the beginning almost 20 yrs. probably since you where in diapers. Have you won a world title I have. I have won state and points championships. So don't tell me I have no clue. You tell me what is the rocket science about SPL.

so you're telling me you won because you just spent more money than your competitors and none of it was due to your skill? interesting...

i also certainly didn't claim it was rocket science- just that it was just as difficult and nuanced as building a drag car or good rock crawler.

as far as my car audio credentials- think what you want, i'm not here to brag. you are correct though, that 20 years ago i was just being potty trained! wow, am i getting old.

wow, expo and wagonized are just too smuckin fart for all of us newbs around here..... you two need to take it easy......

i never claimed to be smarter than everyone here. But I fully admitted earlier that I'm an SPL guy and we do things very differently. So different that the majority of normal people or non hardcore competitors dont grasp the concepts.

I have been competing in car audio since the beginning almost 20 yrs. probably since you where in diapers. Have you won a world title I have. I have won state and points championships. So don't tell me I have no clue. You tell me what is the rocket science about SPL.

No I havent won a world title but I would have if I attended IASCA finals last year providing I had no equipment failures.

congratulations on your world title but was that in SQ or SPL? And what year was this in? Ive seen quite a few world titles won by people who drop their car off at a shop for a year to be built and tested then claim it to be "their" setup. So your title really means jack as to your knowledge.

You say you've been competing for 20+ years then you should definitely know how complex some of the setups have to be to even make brackets at world finals let alone win. But then again if you're an SQ guy you probably dont take much time to look at the simple SPL setups because they dont sound good anyway.

Whats the highest db you've ever hit if you know so much about SPL?

just for the record-

i personally have built my stereo system with the goal of having it the interior as customized and show worthy as i want the exterior to be- my only end goal is to be competitive in national level shows in a custom truck category...

it's somewhat of an accident that it has turned into an incredible stereo system

I have a lot of friends who have done well at world finals year after year whose systems i really have no respect for whatsoever (sq competition). There are a lot of classes which are just lame, and rules which i disagree with.

i disconnected the hot leads last year for daily driving but this one I'll probably leave as is.

I feel im barking up the wrong tree on this forum when posting pics of my SPL setup. Its out of most of your elements. If someone came on here and started talking about nuclear physics probably noone would care or understand either.

Fuses are not necessary

I dont clam to know it all, but I have seen alot of things... And I understand what your trying to do, but here is a suggestion, why not just make up a short fuse run that you can bypass for comp (yeah I know ya dont want to hear that tho :p: ) The reason I think its important... I worked in car audio, for a police towing company (accident pickup) and now a I'm a welder/fabricator. The amount of amps your truck has w/ the aftermarket alt + the duel batts should be enough if one of the pos leads did manage to get cut and go to ground due to a accident (read accident meaning some non-driving idiot hitting you) I'm sure that it would be enough to do the following, burn/melt the body sheetmetal away, melt the shielding on the rest of the cables, cause the batterys to go to full discharge (would probably just melt the terminal off them tho) and probably fry the alt if the truck is running)
IMO the added pain in the ass of making a removable fused link at the front end would be well worth the trouble vs the possibility of broken/burnt up equipment at no fault of your own..

Added: Another side note, alot of drag guys run rear mounted batterys and those are not fused runs, IMO top reason for me wanting to see ya fuse the thing for daily driving would be to protect the $$$$ in equipment you have installed, but how much a fuse would help is kinda questionable to me as well depending on the amperage draw needed at the amps and the size of the fuses needed for full power... more crap to ponder....

so you're telling me you won because you just spent more money than your competitors and none of it was due to your skill? interesting...

i also certainly didn't claim it was rocket science- just that it was just as difficult and nuanced as building a drag car or good rock crawler.

as far as my car audio credentials- think what you want, i'm not here to brag. you are correct though, that 20 years ago i was just being potty trained! wow, am i getting old.

Expo is 100% correct here, none of this is rocket science... or is it...
I havent seen a spl rig being build, but I have seen a sound quality car being built, alot more then one would think goes in to this stuff
SPL setups for trying to lose as much resistance in the power leads and get the max power to the amps really takes some though IMO, no different then building a 1/4 mile car, look at all the crap some people will do for a 1/10 of a sec when it comes to that, hell take a look at some of the street/track rigs we have on this site, really who in there right mind would dry to dragrace w/ a explorer, its a damn brick with wheels :p:
Same with the rock crawling, alot of work and breaking things with that tho unless your building your own 3-4 linked rig (like Izwack's rig) then there is alot of science in to it (that link stuff is still over my head right now), and then again it comes down to who in their right mind would use a explorer as a rock crawler, for less then half the time, trouble, money and work you could get a jeep and throw some aftermarket parts at it and say you have a rock crawler...
But whats the fun of having something that will work out of the box and is the standard on the trail/track/spl comp ect... :D

As a side note, part of the reason IMO so many people have gotten their panties in bunch over the "you dont really need a fuse" issue is that there is alot of people on here that dont know any better and without a though would shove a power lead for a amp though a rough hole without a grommet and would be back on here *****ing that they burnt their junk up.
Really what it comes down to before you omit a peice of safety equipment is knowing why its there, what it does and what can and will happen if its not there, alot of people dont know unfortunately

IF he is running spl i doing see a reason for the power to be connected to the batt during daily driving. that would change most peoples thinking.

the rules that 'cause him to set stuff up like this to be in a class- are exactly the reasons why i'm not as impressed by world titles as i could be, and am more focused on the overall vehicle build (see my first post)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont clam to know it all, but I have seen alot of things... And I understand what your trying to do, but here is a suggestion, why not just make up a short fuse run that you can bypass for comp (yeah I know ya dont want to hear that tho :p: ) The reason I think its important... I worked in car audio, for a police towing company (accident pickup) and now a I'm a welder/fabricator. The amount of amps your truck has w/ the aftermarket alt + the duel batts should be enough if one of the pos leads did manage to get cut and go to ground due to a accident (read accident meaning some non-driving idiot hitting you) I'm sure that it would be enough to do the following, burn/melt the body sheetmetal away, melt the shielding on the rest of the cables, cause the batterys to go to full discharge (would probably just melt the terminal off them tho) and probably fry the alt if the truck is running)
IMO the added pain in the ass of making a removable fused link at the front end would be well worth the trouble vs the possibility of broken/burnt up equipment at no fault of your own..

Added: Another side note, alot of drag guys run rear mounted batterys and those are not fused runs, IMO top reason for me wanting to see ya fuse the thing for daily driving would be to protect the $$$$ in equipment you have installed, but how much a fuse would help is kinda questionable to me as well depending on the amperage draw needed at the amps and the size of the fuses needed for full power... more crap to ponder....

Expo is 100% correct here, none of this is rocket science... or is it...
I havent seen a spl rig being build, but I have seen a sound quality car being built, alot more then one would think goes in to this stuff
SPL setups for trying to lose as much resistance in the power leads and get the max power to the amps really takes some though IMO, no different then building a 1/4 mile car, look at all the crap some people will do for a 1/10 of a sec when it comes to that, hell take a look at some of the street/track rigs we have on this site, really who in there right mind would dry to dragrace w/ a explorer, its a damn brick with wheels :p:
Same with the rock crawling, alot of work and breaking things with that tho unless your building your own 3-4 linked rig (like Izwack's rig) then there is alot of science in to it (that link stuff is still over my head right now), and then again it comes down to who in their right mind would use a explorer as a rock crawler, for less then half the time, trouble, money and work you could get a jeep and throw some aftermarket parts at it and say you have a rock crawler...
But whats the fun of having something that will work out of the box and is the standard on the trail/track/spl comp ect... :D

As a side note, part of the reason IMO so many people have gotten their panties in bunch over the "you dont really need a fuse" issue is that there is alot of people on here that dont know any better and without a though would shove a power lead for a amp though a rough hole without a grommet and would be back on here *****ing that they burnt their junk up.
Really what it comes down to before you omit a peice of safety equipment is knowing why its there, what it does and what can and will happen if its not there, alot of people dont know unfortunately

although the removable link is a good idea it would still require a break or joint in the power wire which would have the possibility to add resistance.

I agree that me saying fuses arent necessary probably isnt the best piece of advice for your average Joe. It certainly isnt. Hopefully nobody has gone and removed the fuses in their power wire to try and get their system louder. Because that wont work, to your ear atleast.
IF he is running spl i doing see a reason for the power to be connected to the batt during daily driving. that would change most peoples thinking.

its an spl vehicle but it will also be driven a few days a week for misc things. I could never build a try SPL only vehicle that Im not able to drive...that defeats the purpose for me. I like to bump it loud as hell daily too
the rules that 'cause him to set stuff up like this to be in a class- are exactly the reasons why i'm not as impressed by world titles as i could be, and am more focused on the overall vehicle build (see my first post)

well there are a lot of different organizations out there with totally different rules to them. Some organizations require fuses and the classes are based on your fuse size used. Unfortunately where I live theres not much choice of which organization to compete in. We have one dbdrag per year and a few IASCA shows and thats about it.

Back