12's over 10's...

izackary

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Mazdaspeed6 GT
I currently have a pair of 10" DVC Audiobahn 1000X's i think. They sound OK, but i want something that hits lower and louder. Either a pair of somewhat cheap 12's or one high-quality 12. I need it/them to handle 1100 watts at one ohm. Any suggestions? RE x.., a pair of Boston Acoustic ProSeries, etc?

thanks!

Ikery

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well if you want a 1000W capable 12" sub, I would recommend the JL Audio 12W7. I think this sub might vibrate the plastic off your vehicle! But seriously, it would more than meet your expectations, and the 1000W is right in the 'optimum performance' rating for the sub.
The only problem is that it is a 3-ohm subwoofer. Not sure on why you have to have 1-ohm, if you can get your hands on an amp that can push 1000W at 3-ohm, that would be awesome, but I think, to a degree, there is some sound quality that is compromised with certain drivers at low impedances like 1 ohm.

Another solution is using a combination of the 10W7s which are rated at 500W for optimal performance, not sure off hand about the impedance - would 1.5-ohms work?. JL Audio is top notch though, no way you will be disappointed with these.

Good luck!

I've got a pair of RE SE 12's, both in their own 1 cuft sealed box, powered by a JBL 1200.1 at 1 ohms. They hit low and loud. If you put them in a ported box they would sound awesome, but you would need a lot of room for them. I can't speak for the x..'s, but have heard nothing but good stuff about them. Basically you couldn't go wrong if you went with RE.

JL W7's are to much for what they worth.. If they were closer to a couple hundred a sub for a 12 it might be alright but when you are looking at prices between $300-$600 for a single sub thats a little to high in my book.

Currently I am running Kicker S12L5's.. To me the L7's weren't worth the money. They are loud enough for me and I am a basshead..

I will give you the same advice I give to people that want to know about getting one size rim or the other.. Go with the larger one.. Eventually if you buy the smaller one you will want the larger one in the long run..

anyone run shivas?

NusenseSD said:
JL W7's are to much for what they worth.. If they were closer to a couple hundred a sub for a 12 it might be alright but when you are looking at prices between $300-$600 for a single sub thats a little to high in my book.

Currently I am running Kicker S12L5's.. To me the L7's weren't worth the money. They are loud enough for me and I am a basshead..

I will give you the same advice I give to people that want to know about getting one size rim or the other.. Go with the larger one.. Eventually if you buy the smaller one you will want the larger one in the long run..

or u buy the larger ones get tired and want smaller ones...

whatever you do- no boston pros, everyone i know is severely disappointed.

also, recommending the w7 is such a cliche. its a fine sub but geez. its not like we haven't discussed it in 5,586 other threads.

i would jump on the SE's if I were you.

It all depends on the install. But some good subs would be treo, ED, DD, RE, H2, Concept, IDMAX, Adire....

i would defenitley recommend looking at memphis's new subs the m3's...they are good hard hitting subs...www.memphiscaraudio.com i would try dd...they are by far probably one of the better subs on the market with every sub being hand built you cant complain...minus one the 1100 series is there only stamp basket...i would try like the 3300 series...www.ddaudio.com maybe atomic...what about juggernaut or mmats...its all on preference really...i have run polk in my explorer before...sounded good...then i went to memphis and been with that ever since...i had 4 10" memphis pr's with a memphis 1000d that amp puts out about 1200 at .75ohms...which is pretty damn good for its size...that slammed...i also then had 1 memphis 12" mojo on that 1000d...so many possibilities

Back