12v Power Points Temporarily Not Working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

12v Power Points Temporarily Not Working?

royski

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 XLT
Looking for ideas here.

Took a 6 hour trip yesterday and a few hours in, noticed that my front console and second row 12v power points (old cigarette lighter type) power points stopped working. The front USB still worked but the second row one wasn't either. Got to my destination and turned off car, restarted, still no go. An hour or so later, decided to check all the ports (wish I had thought of that earlier) and everything works fine now.

I had my dash cam/phone plugged in up front and a car dvd player running in the back. This set up has been used numerous times before and for the same trip a few times as well.

Any ideas on why they temporarily wouldn't work? Both are on separate fuses if I read correctly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking for ideas here.

Took a 6 hour trip yesterday and a few hours in, noticed that my front console and second row 12v power points (old cigarette lighter type) power points stopped working. The front USB still worked but the second row one wasn't either. Got to my destination and turned off car, restarted, still no go. An hour or so later, decided to check all the ports (wish I had thought of that earlier) and everything works fine now.

I had my dash cam/phone plugged in up front and a car dvd player running in the back. This set up has been used numerous times before and for the same trip a few times as well.

Any ideas on why they temporarily wouldn't work? Both are on separate fuses if I read correctly.
This car is known for electrical and electronic glitches including numerous switches and settings turning on and off randomly and resetting on their own. Trust me I've had many intermittent ones that repeat then stop for no apparent reason so never got them fixed or looked at.

My ex wife flew over your Explorer. She is known to cause electrical disruptions to BCM's .................... YMMV :rolleyes: :D

This car is known for electrical and electronic glitches including numerous switches and settings turning on and off randomly and resetting on their own. Trust me I've had many intermittent ones that repeat then stop for no apparent reason so never got them fixed or looked at.
How can Ford mess up so badly on this generation? There seems to be a problem with EVERY component on this vehicle.

I have had the same problem several times also and other electrical gremlins

Looking for ideas here.

I had this same problem happen (front and second row 12v outlet) and searched the forum to find this old thread.

I have a 2020 XLT with 45K miles. Never had the problem occur until now. I use the front outlet every day.

Of course I was hundreds of miles away from home when it happened. I started the car and the outlets were immediatly dead. I unplugged everything from the outlet and plugged just one thing in the outlet. No change. Shut off the car and restarted several times. No change.

I have 4 or 5 items plugged into my front outlet and have for 2+ years.

Drove car home and the outlets were still dead the next day also.

Next day, I removed the under hood fuse and it was not blown, but one end of the fuse looked funny so I removed the clear plastic cover from the fuse so I could get a close look at it. Could not determine if there was problem with the fuse. Ohm meter showed good when testing. I put the fuse back in and the 12v outlets started working again and have been fine for a few weeks now. Magic.

I purchased a new fuse to have in the car and will replace if it happens again.

Here's where the fuse is in the under hood fuse box.

Power Outlet fuse.JPG

I had this same problem happen (front and second row 12v outlet) and searched the forum to find this old thread.

I have a 2020 XLT with 45K miles. Never had the problem occur until now. I use the front outlet every day.

Of course I was hundreds of miles away from home when it happened. I started the car and the outlets were immediatly dead. I unplugged everything from the outlet and plugged just one thing in the outlet. No change. Shut off the car and restarted several times. No change.

Next day, I removed the under hood fuse and it was not blown, but one end of the fuse looked funny so I removed the clear plastic cover from the fuse so I could get a close look at it. Could not determine if there was problem with the fuse. Ohm meter showed good when testing. I put the fuse back in and the 12v outlets started working again and have been fine for a few weeks now. Magic.

View attachment 439743
I would get some CRC and spray the fuse socket and fuse ends. There might be a small amount of corrosion, insert and remove the fuse a few times and that would clean it up.

Thank you for your post. Hopefully, it will help some of the members with a similar issue. The member you quoted likely won't see it as he was last seen here on March 28, 2021.

Peter

Back