Power Outlets - Are they Switched? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Outlets - Are they Switched?

Retraction

Well, after all the agonizing we finally bought a 2016 Explorer Platinum. Generally love it but there are a few changes or additions that are frustrating. I'll save that for later but right now I'm looking for a solution to a change Ford made to the Power Point behind the third row seats. For whatever reason they no longer provide continuous power to the plug. Our 2011 Limited had the power after the engine had been shut down.

What does Ford suppose the owner is doing with the Power Point? It's protected with a 20A fuse so I'd guess they don't expect it will be used to supply LEDs.

We have a compressor refrigerator that we have used for several years while traveling on long trips. We have never had a problem running the unit overnight as we stopped at hotels.

The change is a real disappointment. Is there a way to rewire or change the way the power is supplied to the rear Power Point?

Oh boy! I've evidently screwed up again. For whatever reason, when I first plugged in my Refrigerator with the engine off there was no voltage. After reading some of the posts I went back for another try. Now the fridge is working with the engine and key (start button) off. Sorry if I started a thread that obviously was incorrect. Just hope it keeps working.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a good screwup :)

Not a screwup!

That's a good screwup :)

I take it back. OK, here's the deal...The Power Points work for an extended time after the car is shut down. I haven't determined the exact time but the shutdown is more than one hour and less than two. I am certain now that the 2016 Platinum, and likely all new Explorers have this very unwelcome feature.

Can one of the Ford Techs please ask engineering for specifics and whether a computer tweak could disable the shutdown?

Regards:mad:

I take it back. OK, here's the deal...The Power Points work for an extended time after the car is shut down. I haven't determined the exact time but the shutdown is more than one hour and less than two. I am certain now that the 2016 Platinum, and likely all new Explorers have this very unwelcome feature.

Can one of the Ford Techs please ask engineering for specifics and whether a computer tweak could disable the shutdown?

Regards:mad:
From the 2016 Manual;

110 Volt AC Power Point (If Equipped)
Note: The power point will turn off when
the ignition is switched off or the battery
voltage drops below 11 volts.

From the 2011 Manual;
Note: The 110V AC power point will turn off after 13 minutes if the
ignition is in the on position without the engine running. Keep the
engine running or cycle the ignition before the 13 minute time-out to
keep the inverter on.

Not sure why this would be considered a "very unwelcome feature". It is there to prevent you from killing the battery.

Also, there are no Ford techs that monitor this Forum and the Ford reps that do monitor it do not interface with the engineering department. Their task is to be a 'go between' the customer and the Regional Customer Service Manager.

Peter

For anyone interested regarding USB ports. I have an '15 now, and they do turn off. I run an old iPod nano through mine that I just leave in the car all the time with the settings on it set to shuffle. If I'm up for some music, I switch to Aux, and then USB, and I'm set any time. As far as the port outlets, some better labeling would certainly be nice. I run a plug in heated car seat in the winter. My solution is to run a long string with a paperclip from my heated seat to my car keys so that I remember to turn the thing off each time. I clip it to the keys every time I get in the car so I don't leave it on. Will have to look in my manual to see if it has a battery protect like mentioned above.

For anyone interested regarding USB ports. I have an '15 now, and they do turn off. I run an old iPod nano through mine that I just leave in the car all the time with the settings on it set to shuffle. If I'm up for some music, I switch to Aux, and then USB, and I'm set any time. As far as the port outlets, some better labeling would certainly be nice. I run a plug in heated car seat in the winter. My solution is to run a long string with a paperclip from my heated seat to my car keys so that I remember to turn the thing off each time. I clip it to the keys every time I get in the car so I don't leave it on. Will have to look in my manual to see if it has a battery protect like mentioned above.
From what I've read in the 2015 manual, the 12V power points do NOT turn off when the engine is shut off.
As for the 110V AC outlet, the manual has the same note as for the 2011 noted in my previous post.

Assuming you no longer have the 2011 (model not shown) noted in the margin, please update your profile with your current 2015 (Base, XLT, Ltd, Sport). Thanks.

Peter

Changes to the 2016 model

From what I've read in the 2015 manual, the 12V power points do NOT turn off when the engine is shut off.
As for the 110V AC outlet, the manual has the same note as for the 2011 noted in my previous post.

Assuming you no longer have the 2011 (model not shown) noted in the margin, please update your profile with your current 2015 (Base, XLT, Ltd, Sport). Thanks.

Peter

Will update. Just renewed my membership. As to the Power Point issue I have, this is a 2016 and I do believe Ford has changed the system. My 2011 power point in the 3rd row did stay on continuously allowing me to carry a compressor driven refrigerator behind the third row. We travel extensively and while staying overnight in a hotel we could keep items cold and fresh, including prescription items. The amount of battery used overnight was minimal since the unit was already cooled. We did not experience a single battery failure while using the unit in the 2011 Limited.

I know that may seem unusual to some but keep in mind we did buy an SUV/Utility/Truck. Back country use by owners, folks who don't sleep in their own beds every night, welcome the convenience of the 24/7 power point.

I'm not interested in the 110 outlet but would sure like to see if there is away to restore full time power to the third row Power Point.

Thanks for the response,

Will update. Just renewed my membership. As to the Power Point issue I have, this is a 2016 and I do believe Ford has changed the system. My 2011 power points in the 3rd row did stay on continuously allowing me to carry a compressor driven refrigerator behind the third row. We travel extensively and while staying overnight in a hotel we could keep items cold and fresh, including prescription items.

I know that may seem unusual to some but keep in mind we did buy an SUV/Utility/Truck. Back country use by owners, folks who don't sleep in their own beds every night, welcome the convenience of the 24/7 power point.

I'm not interested in the 110 outlet but would sure like to see if there is away to restore full time power to the third row Power Point.

Thanks for the response,
I wonder what the reason was to change the 2015 setup? Thanks for continuing to support the site. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Peter

Okay...2016

The Power Points are on an approximately 30 minute timer. After the ignition is off for about 30 minutes they shut off.

This can be back-doored via dealer programming to shut off with the ignition however you can't make it stay on all the time.

The only way would be to re-wire it hot somehow.

Wish I could get my hands on the shop manual for a 2016

Okay...2016

The Power Points are on an approximately 30 minute timer. After the ignition is off for about 30 minutes they shut off.

This can be back-doored via dealer programming to shut off with the ignition however you can't make it stay on all the time.

The only way would be to re-wire it hot somehow.

After visiting with a tech at the Ford shop I've about given up on the idea of hot-wiring the port behind the third row. It is isolated through a single 20amp fuse (#69) but I've been warned that the mega computer that runs everything also monitors voltages and it's possible I might fry something. And, after looking at the actual fuse I'm not even sure what I'm looking at. It's a small square box, not like the blade fuses I'm used to. Damn car is getting way to smart for me.

My 30 minute timer is wrong as well. I am timing it right now. At over an hour. It may be related to battery voltage rather than a timer or both....either way it will shut off eventually.

Actually for someone who knows what they are doing it wouldn't be that hard to make it hot. Just snag the wire as it comes out of the BJB which is right by the battery, snip the end and run it right to the battery with an inline fuse.

My 30 minute timer is wrong as well. I am timing it right now. At over an hour. It may be related to battery voltage rather than a timer or both....either way it will shut off eventually.

Actually for someone who knows what they are doing it wouldn't be that hard to make it hot. Just snag the wire as it comes out of the BJB which is right by the battery, snip the end and run it right to the battery with an inline fuse.
Jason, are you referring to the 12V or 110V power point(s). The 110 will turn off with the ignition or when the battery level drops below 11V.

Peter

Cargo area power plug and battery saver.

We just got back from a vacation trip in our '15 XLT, and had a major annoyance - which I'm trying to figure out whether it's a deign fault or a component failure.

We travel with a powered cooler (12 volt, keeps the sodas/milk/refrigerated snacks at cool temps). Had the thin with us a couple of previous issues without any problems. This time, I got careless and forgot to take it in when we pulled into a hotel where we over-nighted. Overnight temps were going to be in the 40's so didn't think we had issues. Left the cooler plugged in overnight - didn't realize that the 12 volt plug stayed energized even with the vehicle off. When I came down the next morning, the battery was flat - and pretty much nothing worked. Got a jump-start from the hotel staff, and got on our way after a minor delay.

The question for the board: Is the cargo area power plug supposed to be a part of the 'battery saver' controlled component set, which is supposed to shut stuff down' so I don't have starting issues? If not - really, Ford, why not? I've never had a vehicle where accessories didn't 'shut off' when you locked it up - guess I took that as a 'common feature'.

If it's supposed to be controlled by the 'battery saver', I need to schedule a trip to the dealer, as the feature didn't work. If not, I need to figure out how to have the car 'protect me from myself or family carelessness.

FWIW, I DID do a search - got nothing with '12 volt power plug'...

It doesn't seem like powered ports where ever an issue until the 5th Gen came along...

However, Ford is known to leave 12 volts plugs powered. If you don't want to drain the battery, unplug stuff. But don't ***** and make ford have all 12 volt ports switched. Some of us leave stuff in the truck to charge or run and don't want to leave the keys in the ignition...
If you need to, install a relay to power the 12 volt ports. Or carry a $40 jumper box and you'll be able to jump start yourself no matter what the reason is for the dead battery.

It doesn't seem like powered ports where ever an issue until the 5th Gen came along...

However, Ford is known to leave 12 volts plugs powered. If you don't want to drain the battery, unplug stuff. But don't ***** and make ford have all 12 volt ports switched. Some of us leave stuff in the truck to charge or run and don't want to leave the keys in the ignition...
If you need to, install a relay to power the 12 volt ports. Or carry a $40 jumper box and you'll be able to jump start yourself no matter what the reason is for the dead battery.

Yeah, I know - it's not a bug, it's a 'feature'.

That said, even if you 'normally' leave stuff plugged in and they're fine overnight, if you forget (or get in a hurry at the airport park-and-ride), having a flat battery greet you when your flight comes in 9 hours late is not going to make your day. After being away from home for the week. Been there, done that - the 'battery saver' was a compelling safeguard feature to cover my back when needed. I'm trying to figure out what I need to fix - if the expected behavior is to have battery saver shut off the accessory plug party, then it's faulty as it didn't do it. If it isn't, I need to figure out a way to have the plugs (at least the one in the cargo hold) go off with ignition. In a 'perfect world' that would be a 'setting' to update via MFT ;)

As to the 'jump-start battery pack' - there literally wasn't a spare cubic inch of space left in the car with the stuff everyone wanted to take along. Aside from being a bit tight on room and a bit thirsty (only 23 MPG for the trip, but that did include trips to downtown Atlanta and downtown St. Louis), the car did quite well. For the driving experience, really didn't have any complaints - quiet, decent ride, safe handling, and reasonable power even on i-24 over the 6% grade.

A cooler will draw constant power to maintain temp, i doubt its something to leave in overnight while the car is off and have a working battery in the am.
All ports-if you plug something in-seem to always providing power (including USB and fyi garage door opener will always work also without FOB nearbye), cant rely on Battery Saver when using ports.

On here its hit and miss. Doesn't seem like a device drawing power will be denied by system, only seems like radio and lights, and accessory mode will be turned off by system

Also the ' Shift to Park ' message that can appear frequently due to bad shifter (TSB exists for this issue) - if you leave this message on the dash and then leave the car-it doesnt shut off
the drivers display and whatever else - its on here & can cause battery drain.

We just got back from a vacation trip in our '15 XLT, and had a major annoyance - which I'm trying to figure out whether it's a deign fault or a component failure.

We travel with a powered cooler (12 volt, keeps the sodas/milk/refrigerated snacks at cool temps). Had the thin with us a couple of previous issues without any problems. This time, I got careless and forgot to take it in when we pulled into a hotel where we over-nighted. Overnight temps were going to be in the 40's so didn't think we had issues. Left the cooler plugged in overnight - didn't realize that the 12 volt plug stayed energized even with the vehicle off. When I came down the next morning, the battery was flat - and pretty much nothing worked. Got a jump-start from the hotel staff, and got on our way after a minor delay.

The question for the board: Is the cargo area power plug supposed to be a part of the 'battery saver' controlled component set, which is supposed to shut stuff down' so I don't have starting issues? If not - really, Ford, why not? I've never had a vehicle where accessories didn't 'shut off' when you locked it up - guess I took that as a 'common feature'.

If it's supposed to be controlled by the 'battery saver', I need to schedule a trip to the dealer, as the feature didn't work. If not, I need to figure out how to have the car 'protect me from myself or family carelessness.

FWIW, I DID do a search - got nothing with '12 volt power plug'...
I merged your thread with this one. The only outlet that will switch off is the 110V one. As far as I know, the only thing other than the power ports that the battery saver program will not shut off are the parking lights if they are left on.

Peter

Can someone tell me if the second row (behind center console) 12V cigarette lighter outlet is always on, or is it switched with ignition?

I'm picking up my Limited today, but I am planning on powering my aftermarker DVD players with this, and don't want power to be on all the time.

Thanks,
Dino[/QUOTE

They all shut down about 1.5 hours after the engine is shut down. Hate that cause we have a refrigerator behind the third row and we'd like to leave it on when we travel. I'm looking at ways to wire the plug directly, bypassing the damn computer.

Can someone tell me if the second row (behind center console) 12V cigarette lighter outlet is always on, or is it switched with ignition?

I'm picking up my Limited today, but I am planning on powering my aftermarker DVD players with this, and don't want power to be on all the time.

Thanks,
Dino[/QUOTE

They all shut down about 1.5 hours after the engine is shut down. Hate that cause we have a refrigerator behind the third row and we'd like to leave it on when we travel. I'm looking at ways to wire the plug directly, bypassing the damn computer.
According to the 2016 Manual, the only power point that shuts off when the battery falls to below 11V is the 110V AC outlet. It sounds like the 12V power points stay on since the Manual says not to leave items plugged in overnight or when you park your vehicle for extended periods because they will drain the battery with the engine off. If they shut off in approx. 1.5 hours then why would that statement be there?

Update: My MKT Manual contains the same info and when I just went and tried to use the rear and console 12V outlets, there was no power. It has been parked all night.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2 in the center council are on all the time, so I'd presume the 3rd one is as well.

That's because u have a 2011 Explorer. After trading for a 2016 I discovered the power does not stay on continuously.

Sometime after the first hour they all shut down.

Back