• Register Today It's free!

150K Spark Plugs

Justin J

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer 4.0
2006 V6 SOHC. Original Nickel spark plugs, as shown in the stamps, 150K miles. Ford suggests they be replaced every 100K, so this is over due.

1C07C401-177C-4896-BA1C-C989BD66A315.jpeg
920276FF-F582-4116-BB18-917B23D48138.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are nickel plated, but were platinum plugs, IIRC. Mine were causing rough idle at cold startup, pretty near 100K mi. Well I can only assume, at that point I swapped the plug wires as well and either/or fixed it.

They are nickel plated, but were platinum plugs, IIRC. Mine were causing rough idle at cold startup, pretty near 100K mi. Well I can only assume, at that point I swapped the plug wires as well and either/or fixed it.
Good to know this! They turned out to be very durable! Don’t understand why some people change them every 30K or the like.

According to the yellow signs on the ceramic portion,the coil boots/wires should be replaced as well

Good to know this! They turned out to be very durable! Don’t understand why some people change them every 30K or the like.
Its super easy and super cheap job..so why not?

30to 50 k miles spark plug change for an old gasoline engines..well ,sounds kinda acceptable.

But if you dont care of the engine perfomance you can even bent to specs your old 1/4 inch spark gaps and good to go

According to the yellow signs on the ceramic portion,the coil boots/wires should be replaced as well

I see. Is the yellow stuff from the rubber? Or some grease that Ford put initially? I thought about putting some electric grease on the boots so they could be put on easier.

The yellow signs means bad boot insulation (the boots are overheated and melted because of the spark high voltage partially goes to the cylinder head thru the unsealed boot rubber sleeve).

2006 V6 SOHC. Original Nickel spark plugs, as shown in the stamps, 150K miles. Ford suggests they be replaced every 100K, so this is over due.
I replaced the original plugs in my 4.6L at 120k miles. The gap of the worn plugs was twice what is spec'ed new. It turned out that the wide gap would periodically cause the engine to flood on a cold start. Since the plug change this has not happened again. This is the first time I have had this happen in any vehicle I have owned. The 4.6L plugs have a very narrow center electrode that wears away quickly. They are probably toast by 100k miles and should be changed.

Since 2007 or 2008,Ford changed their stupid two parts/center electrode spark plugs for the 4.6 Triton explorer engines (the heads are changed too)

The V6 spark plugs are really more reliable than the Explorer V8 2006-2007 ones

Since 2007 or 2008,Ford changed their stupid two parts/center electrode spark plugs for the 4.6 Triton explorer engines (the heads are changed too)

The V6 spark plugs are really more reliable than the Explorer V8 2006-2007 ones
Between the plug change and a recent TPS replacement my vehicle idles, runs and shifts noticeably smoother.

Some people like to take them out more often to see if there is any indication of cylinder malfunction, or if they know they burn oil then deposits build up much faster, and in some cases (like my '98) it would be many years between the ~100K mi change and the next change at 200K mi, wouldn't want to risk them being seized in because they haven't been changed in a quarter century.

Once they're out, might as well put new ones in, especially if anything needs removed to get to them. At least it's not a transverse engine where the intake manifold has to come off to get to the rear plugs!

Once they're out, might as well put new ones in, especially if anything needs removed to get to them. At least it's not a transverse engine where the intake manifold has to come off to get to the rear plugs!
It used to be that replacing plugs didn't cost an arm and a leg. These days I paid nearly $70 for a set of eight OEM spark plugs. My wife's Edge
has 100k miles on it and needs the plugs replaced. It is a job I'm not looking forward to doing.

^ Wow. After an Advance Auto Parts coupon code, a set of 6 for my '98 only came out to $12 and change, though AAP no longer has such large % off coupons and now wants $5 a piece for them.

I paid $2.9 each on Amazon, not as cheap as they used to be.

Motorcraft plugs for a 4.6L 3V are $7.51 each from Rock Auto. Plus, I need two more than the V6 owners.

At least it's not a transverse engine where the intake manifold has to come off to get to the rear plugs!
On at least two vehicles I've owned it was only the upper intake that had to come off - it sounds scary but it's really pretty easy.

Between the plug change and a recent TPS replacement my vehicle idles, runs and shifts noticeably smoother.
94Eddie just curious. What shift issues did you have before changing the TPS

94Eddie just curious. What shift issues did you have before changing the TPS
It wasn't anything serious. I could slightly feel the shifts occurring when mildly accelerating. After the TPS was replaced the shifts are smoother and less noticeable. The TPS completely failed on me before replacement. My guess is that before it failed it was probably sending voltage to the ECM that was slightly off and/or erratic which might have messed with the transmission module shifting gears to a mild extent.

It wasn't anything serious. I could slightly feel the shifts occurring when mildly accelerating. After the TPS was replaced the shifts are smoother and less noticeable. The TPS completely failed on me before replacement. My guess is that before it failed it was probably sending voltage to the ECM that was slightly off and/or erratic which might have messed with the transmission module shifting gears to a mild extent.
Thanks 94Eddie. Nice to hear It wasn't anything serious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've pulled worse.

Back