'17 Explorer - Front Camera Wide Angle Mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'17 Explorer - Front Camera Wide Angle Mode

WallaceMI

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited
Hi,

My Explorer was in the shop for a fender bender and because of this they also had to replace the front camera.

I received the car back and I noticed that the front camera itself works well but it doesn't switch into the "wide" angel mode anymore (normally you get to this mode when you press the camera button twice). Instead it just stays in standard mode and nothing happen when you press the button a 2nd time. Pressing the camera button the 3rd time it exits the camera mode.

Any idea if this is just a simple setting issue or did the dealer wired up something wrong? The rear camera doesn't have that issue (both standard and wide angle mode are working).

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if the front camera has to be programmed to your vehicle or not. When the rearview camera was replaced on previous models, it had to be programmed to the vehicle by using the dealer's IDS (laptop) tool in order to be fully functional.

Peter

Thanks for the hint. Seems like no way around for me to stop at the dealer again.

The rear camera has a wide angle mode?

Yes, both front and rear. I guess you haven't read as far as page 210 yet.;)

Peter

Yes. Press the camera button on dash.
Normal (default) is "narrow view" for backing into parking spot.
Wide (must select) is wide angle view, used for backing out of driveway, and seeing 180' (down either side of street), so you dont pull out in front of someone.

Back