Camera Washer Not Working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camera Washer Not Working

I have assumed that the washer fluid is supplied from the front windshield washer fluid tank. Is that correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hahahaha this is the first I knew that there is a washer for the rear camera. Why isn't there a wiper for the camera? how could camera cleaner clean camera without wiper?

hahahaha this is the first I knew that there is a washer for the rear camera. Why isn't there a wiper for the camera? how could camera cleaner clean camera without wiper?
Better question is how would you install such a tiny wiper? The camera washers front/back only came out with the 2016 model. I found it very useful once when I pulled into a parking garage this past Winter and started to back into a spot. The camera image was almost non existent due to snow/slush build up. A squirt from the washer cleared it up perfectly. As a habit, I always give the lens a quick clean when I walk behind the vehicle so dirt doesn't really build up on it.

Peter

Fixed mine today. Took apart the rear line under the hood and blew compressed air through it. Didn't work.

Took off the rear nozzle which is connected to the explorer bar. Also took off the one way check valve and put air through it along with some wd-40 and now it's working great!

Fixed mine today. Took apart the rear line under the hood and blew compressed air through it. Didn't work.

Took off the rear nozzle which is connected to the explorer bar. Also took off the one way check valve and put air through it along with some wd-40 and now it's working great!

Got any pics of the "one way check valve"?

Got any pics of the "one way check valve"?

I didn't take pics. I'm honestly not going to tear it back apart to get one either. It's really simple...

4 bolts under the Explorer trim piece come out. Then you just pull gently and the clips will release. There will be wires coming out of one side, and the washer line out the other side. I used a small screwdriver to separate the valve from the line. The check valve is the piece that looks like it has a grommet to fit through the body panel of the hatch. I used vice grips to pinch the line so it couldn't fall back into the hatch.

That's the best way to describe getting to it.

Thanks for the description of what to look for! Hopefully this will fix my similar issue.

Sorry to jump a bit off topic, but is the rear camera washer mounted above or below the camera itself?

Below. It sprays upwards onto the lens.

I had the same issue and ended up deleting the check valve. It couldn’t be cleaned. Here are some pics to help others. The 4 bolts under the Explorer chrome trim price get removed and the trim piece snaps out. Start at the outside edges of the trim. I found it easier to unhook the washer tube at the lift gate first. The I could disassemble the rest.

D9FD950A-16C7-4855-BDEC-E81312C332B8.jpeg

D9346EC3-C607-4B6C-BD80-B27089B1D1E1.jpeg

960A676D-33CB-4EA8-8C3E-9DCBF54AD578.jpeg

C5C3D28D-CB66-4F94-AE94-CB254B86A1D7.jpeg

D0B53DA0-D2F9-4BB6-81E4-3A891E70FC14.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum Matthew.:wave:

Peter

I have had the same problem on this Explorer and my last. Small grains of road sand, or dirt get lodged in the nozzle sprayer. Dealer will take part camera housing and clean.

A poor design that should be fixed.

I have had the same problem on this Explorer and my last. Small grains of road sand, or dirt get lodged in the nozzle sprayer. Dealer will take part camera housing and clean.

A poor design that should be fixed.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
No issues with my previous 2017 nor my current ride...so far.

Peter

If I was you I would check to see if the pump is working by checking the voltage at the pump. Usually goes is there fluid, is the nozzle clogged, is it leaking, is the pump actually pumping.

If I was you I would check to see if the pump is working by checking the voltage at the pump. Usually goes is there fluid, is the nozzle clogged, is it leaking, is the pump actually pumping.
I'm not sure which post you are replying to but if it's the one from Great_S, the member was last seen here on February 23, 2021.

Peter

Hi guys, our 2017 Explorer XLT now has the same issue. The rear camera washer isn't working. I checked this threat, but did not find an answer.

- Yes, I have enough fluid
- Yes, I waited some time, but the washer isn't spraying at all
- Rear window washer works perfectly fine
- I tried cleaning from the outside, no luck
- It's not frozen (car is in heated garage)
- I tried a very small needle, but no luck with that either
- Most likely it is clogged
I somehow need to disassemble it to get it cleaned, but did not find any how-to guide. Don't won't to ruin the camera as it is still working.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

^^ I'm guessing that you may need to remove the interior liftgate panel to get at the line to see if it has fluid coming out of it when the washer is activated. If there is fluid, that would eliminate a line blockage.

Peter

There is a camera washer on the Explorer? Nice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back