17" Mustang SVT Rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17" Mustang SVT Rims

I have a broken down 1998 4x4 XLT w/ 4.0 OHV & 5 Speed...
I didn't pay a lot for it- so I have a little budget left over for upgrades.
I'd like to put a set of 17" Mustang rims on it (with taller tires of course). My search hasn't revealed whether you guys have done this- so I'm asking...
ANY ONE KNOW WHAT IT WOULD TAKE?
Will they bolt up without issues? Would I need spacers- if so how thick- where to get them?
I see stock mustang rims on my local craigslist pretty frequently & like the look of many of them- so they seem like the best bang for the buck if major surgery isn't required to install them.
Thanks for your input guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correctly, mustang rims have a backspacing of -40 so you would need a wheel spacers that were 1.5". the bolt pattern is the same

I kind of figured a spacer would be required.
Back in the day I put IROC rims on my Monte SS & had to use spacers:
1 or 1.25" in the back & 3/8" in the front. I had to pull the axles to install longer studs in the rear... I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. Anyone know who might offer a 1.5" spacer that bolts on & has it's own studs? If so- how much? THANKS!

Thanks for the link- suppose I could've googled it myself- figured I'd ask you guys if there was a brand / supplier you've used & liked... Looks like I'll have no problem finding spacers, but the "cheap" mustang rims are now going to cost $150+ more to install...
Mountaineer looks nice Turdle- Is that with the 1.5" spacers? Looks like maybe 1.25" would look better in front? What did you use? Is yours 4x4 or 4x2? It looks lowered- something I'd entertain doing to my 4x4, but haven't looked into it yet.

Not the best shot, but this shows 17" wheels --sold to me as "Mustang" wheels with no spacers.
I said no spacers. None--zilch.
It was lowered, no bumpstops. I no longer have that truck.

i have GT wheels on my X, no spacers.

IMG_3478-1.jpg

seen with 265/70/17 GG At2

older pic shows alignment a little better. goodyear wrangler 265/70/17

-7.jpg

My 99 Cobra wheels (17x8) fit with no spacers... My 03 Cobra (17x9) wheels would have needed spacers.

Thanks for the help guys! Sounds like most of them should work- just need to steer clear of the 9" wide versions... I'll be back on the hunt once the ex is back on the road.

These are Bullitt Wheels wrapped with Toyo Proxes 4.
20x8.5; 245/45
20x10; 275/40

attachment.php

Also had 17's. I believe they were +22 offsets.

attachment.php

Back