17's or 18's better for everyday? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17's or 18's better for everyday?

Anyone have any opinion about which is a better way to go 17's or 18's? Right now I have 275-60-16 Scorpion Zeros mounted on the stock 16 in aluminum wheels.

With the 17's, I can run 275-60-17 and get to my stock 30" overall diameter. Not to mention that there are several tire manufacturors that make 17in tires.

If I go to 18's, I can run 275-55-18 for a little less sidewall and a little better handling. Just wondering if the ride will be too stiff with 18's for everyday driving. Looking on Tire Rack the only thing that would fit that size in the SUV/Light Truck category would be the Michelin Cross Terrains. Those being an all season tire with good reviews might be perfect for what I'm trying to do with one set to run well all year.

I have the opportunity right now to get a really sweet set of 18" Cobra R replica's for CHEEEP brand new. Just don't know if I should pass it up and go with 17's like the rest of the gang here?

Thanks for the input, gents!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just make sure that you don't tell TireRack it's for an explorer. They won't sell after market wheels and tires for an explorer.

Roger that! I read that same thing in another post. Those *******-o's! Actually I found the 18" Cobra R replicas on eBay, and contacted the seller by phone to find that they are identical in every way to the 17" but simply 1" larger diameter.

I guess I'm leaning towards the 18" wheels simply because I can't justify spending the money to go up only 1 size. :)

Thanks again for the tip!

Originally posted by Jason_25
Just make sure that you don't tell TireRack it's for an explorer. They won't sell after market wheels and tires for an explorer.

why not?

they're worried about liability issues having to do with all the rollover and tire garbage.

Originally posted by crashwave

why not?

Cause all Xs roll over when you put different wheels or tires on them!

Robb

btw: this is the misconception

The deal is that with all of the legal battling going on because of the Firestone Tire thing, TireRack is covering their buttocks! If they sell you something other then stock, then you have grounds to sue them. It's pretty much bull$#@% for all of us. Thanks for the reply!

Alec what do you think?

I'd like to have a useable truck for everyday, and a set of sharp tires and wheels that work as well as possible all year. I've been doing the winter tires/summer tires changeout for a while now and just want one friggin set! HAHA

I am from Syracuse, NY where we CAN get some decent snow. I figure given the low profile and decent tread pattern by using 275-55-18 Cross Terrains should be a good mate between handling, comfort, and all weather driving.

As always, I value your input!

Lol, I was summoned!

If these are going to be your only rims/tires, I'd go with 17s for better winter performance and less risk to your expensive rim investment. You don't want your nice rims getting fubared by a snow drift!

HAHA!! True that, man! Last year we beat Buffalo out for the snowfall record. At one time because of snow drifting and plows piling it up all you could see were the street signs sans the pole in some places.

The masta has spoken, and so it is said, so it shall be done! *gong noise* LOL Well, I 'summoned' you cause you know your stuff.

Just for education's sake.....going to a lower profile is bad for winter, huh?

Anyone have any beefs with the Cross Terrains? Better suggestions for good all-year bite?

Do a TT and get BFG ATs in 17 inch variety..good traction there.

Tirerack:

265/70/17 BFG A/T KO $171.00

They also have Bridgestone A/Ts and many others in that size.

I can honestly say that with 18's the ride is good on the road. I don't have to worry about railroad tracks or anything trivial like that. Plus you can't beat the style of an 18 inch rim. :D

As for winter, I plan on putting the stockers back on and having some fun on ICE! :cool:

just my suggestion based on experience and research.

Hey Hartman, thanks for the post. Looked at your pictures and that's a pretty nice ride.

I also noticed that you have an EE rear sway bar. I bought all of my suspension mods there as well, and found one thing. The split collets that they sell for the rear sway bar are worth the money on my Sport.

Do yourself a favor and look to each side of the rear bushings (where it mounts to the frame) and see if you have any lateral movement. You will see straight line rubs on the sway bar from travelling axially thru the bushings during hard corning. If you bolt these split collets (1/2 collars with torque bolts) onto the bar and butted right up against the outsides of the bushing mounts, it will tighten your arse up substantially.

Maybe I should post a separate thread regarding the sway bar and split collets. I was getting almost an inch of slide thru the bushing on my rear swaybar reducing its effectiveness.

Take care, man!

I had/have both, and the 18's rode and handled better, but it might be because the 18's were Michelin Pilots.
I think the tire has more to do with "quality" than a half inch of sidewall height...

Originally posted by Stomper
Do yourself a favor and look to each side of the rear bushings (where it mounts to the frame) and see if you have any lateral movement. You will see straight line rubs on the sway bar from travelling axially thru the bushings during hard corning. If you bolt these split collets (1/2 collars with torque bolts) onto the bar and butted right up against the outsides of the bushing mounts, it will tighten your arse up substantially.

I have split collets already. My ass is real tight. :D

I think my 20s ride fine. I'd never run them in the winter though. I'd rather swap back to stock

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe his name was Bubba, thank you. And that was the best prision term I've ever served.

RIZZO YOU SICK MAN! :D

Back