17" or 18" wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

17" or 18" wheels?

Is there a big difference in performance as far as handling, weight, ride quality etc. between the 17 or 18" cobra r wheels? I can't decide which to go with. Obviously the 18's would maybe look a little better, a little more wheel with less tire compared to the 17's, but if there's a noticeable difference between the 2 then I think I'd want the 17's. Which would you guys prefer...

Consider braking. I assume you came stock with 16s, so 17s wont make much of a difference. I would say 18s are probably still ok, but seek a second opinion from someone who knows more about brakes. All I know is that the more metal you have, and the farther out they go, the more momentum and centrifugal force your brakes have to stop.

Consider braking. I assume you came stock with 16s, so 17s wont make much of a difference. I would say 18s are probably still ok, but seek a second opinion from someone who knows more about brakes. All I know is that the more metal you have, and the farther out they go, the more momentum and centrifugal force your brakes have to stop.

Came stock with 15's actually, yeah I know I need an upgrade. The Cobras are fairly light though aren't they?

I don't know about the weights, but as far as I know the problem is that the bigger wheels get the weight farther from the center, so the centrifugal force is greater even if the wheel is lighter. How soon do you plan to upgrade the brakes? I think the stock brakes will stop the 18s, just not as effectively and you will probably go through a set of pads a little quicker. If it were me with my bigger-is-better attitude, I'd probably go with the 18s, put on a new set of pads, and plan to upgrade to bigger brakes fairly soon. But get a second opinion, cause I really don't know what I'm talking about. :)

Another question? Would I need spacers with a wheel that has 5x4.5" lug diameter and 24mm offest? I don't want to use spacers at all.

Back