190,000 Miles Maintenance Recommendation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

190,000 Miles Maintenance Recommendation

keeblero

Reaction score
City, State
san diego, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Xlt
Hello:

I just inherited a very high mileage - 190,000 miles, 2014 Ford Explorer from my dad who didnt keep up on scheduled maintenance except for oil/brake/tire general maintenance.

It has been extremely reliable without any major service necessary!

What service recommendations would you suggest to keep this baby cruising along?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I would find out if the PTU fluid was ever changed. If it hasn't, that would be a very good place to start. This would also apply to the transmission fluid.
Keep an eye on the coolant level if it has the 3.5L engine. It has an internal water pump and some owners have had issues with the water pump leaking into the engine.

Peter

I would change every fluid. This would be coolant, engine oil, PTU fluid, transmission fluid, rear differential gear oil (if AWD), power steering fluid and brake fluid. Then check all suspension components, brakes, exhaust etc. Also, keep a very close eye on the coolant level. If it has the 3.5L V6 then the water pump in them are a known weak point and when they fail it can take out the engine in the blink of an eye. Most pumps will give a warning when they are failing by coolant coming from a weep hole in the timing chain cover. This will also show as a drop in cooling level. ANY drop in coolant level in a major cause for concern and the cause of the drop investigated before driving it further. The water pump is an internal design so when it fails completely it will dump the coolant into the oil pan in a matter of seconds. By the time you see the water temperature rise it will be too late and the engine will be destroyed. Replacing a water pump is not a simple, or inexpensive, exercise. It typically runs around $2k if you just change the pump. Many opt to replace the timing chains and guides while it is apart which adds another $750 to $1,000 to the price. If the engine gets toasted then the vehicle will likely be mechanically totaled.

ok thank you!

Gives me alot to think about/do.

If the water pump fails, does it tend to fail gradually or abruptly?

I am going to try to locate the weep hole in the timing chain cover and keep an eye on that.

Thanks for all the insight.

ok thank you!

Gives me alot to think about/do.

If the water pump fails, does it tend to fail gradually or abruptly?

I am going to try to locate the weep hole in the timing chain cover and keep an eye on that.

Thanks for all the insight.
Typically, it does not fail catastrophically. Usually you will see coolant from the weep hole but sometimes it can have a slow leak directly into the oil pan. The best way to make sure to know if coolant is being lost is to keep checking the coolant level in the reservoir. I put a mark on the tank at the coolant level when the engine is cold and the vehicle is parked in our driveway. This makes it easy for me to check every week.

Back