• Register Today It's free!

1992 4x4 transmission issue?

Bulletsnatch

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer 4x4
Hi I'm new to the forum but I'm Jonny and I'm from Mesa, AZ. So I recently bought a 92 Explorer 4x4 off cl that I finally was able to get registered (Lein problems from previous owner). So now that that's finally taken care of now it has to have transmission problems. It was taking a while to engage into drive and reverse and then it would clunk into gear loudly. I made sure it had fluid every time I drove (it had leaks in a few places) and it finally quit. It goes into reverse but it wont engage drive at all. Doesn't even try. I talked to my friend at a tranny shop and he said it probably needs a rebuild and referred to my truck as a Ford Exploder. -_- So should I get a new tranny at a junkyard? Could I get a 5.0 at a pull-a-part with that tranny and rebuild it and swap it in? Id like to know my options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was asking what a better option would be. I know how to use a forum.

I was asking what a better option would be. I know how to use a forum.

Your post asks " I'd like to know my options" not " which is my best option?"

Sorry if my answer was not in accord with your plans.

I guess youre right, my apologies. So what do you think the better option would be?

#1 rebuild a4ld--there is a frenkentranny thread for this, which should make it stronger.

#2 v8 swap=changing harness, computer, lots of wiring modifications, transmission, cutting radiator support, motor mounts-transfer case clearance issues. Custom headers will be needed. Good option but a whole lot of work and surely more money than an a4ld rebuild. More time consuming also

#3 swap in a 5 speed transmission, and computer.

For unlimited resources and time, Option 2 is the best bet. For best payback I feel #3 would get you wheeling good.

If you just want to drive your truck reliably, #1 would probably be faster and cost less money.

Have your transmission shop friend read the frankentranny rebuild diary. He might like what he sees.

Thank you I apreciate your help. I think i might go with option 3.

Back