1992 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 Problems!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 Problems!!!

hauntedxpast

Reaction score
Hey guys.. First post.. Um basically.. I have a 1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition.. I bought the vehicle about a year ago to have a 4x4 for the snow, etc.. But here is the problem.. It has the push button 4x4. I push the 4x4 button and no light.. I push the low range button and no light. I figure the lights could be out. I take the panel off and put an electrical tester to it, with no luck. No juice at all. I continued by checking all fuses and all are in working order, same with the fuse panel, both under hood and in the passenger compartment. I then raised the vehicle on jack stands and tested the wires coming from the engine compartment.. No juice.. Does anyone have ANY idea why? Any input would be greatly appreciated... I need all the help I can get and am willing to try anything at this point.. The local 4x4 shops want almost $250.00 to look at it, and I can't afford that because I'm sure if they do it, it will be atleast another $300.00 to fix it.. Please help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome haunted that sux bout ur x having all these problems

Please do a search here on the forum, I'm sure someone has had that problem before and posted a solution.
Search for "4x4 shift motor"

And welcome to the forum

i had to replace the push button pannel on mine explorer. I just went to the local junk yard and pulled one off, ever since then it has worked fine.

Thank you everyone for your help so far, I'll be doing that search now, I'll let you know what returns of it.

Update: I have finished searching and came back with two options.. A.) The 4x4 Control Module, which seems to be the most common (and the most expensive I might add..which figures..lol) or B.) the Shift Motor..

Now herein lies the problem: I cannot figure out where to get the Control Module.. No parts stores have it.. Is it a dealer only item? And would it be worth going to a junk yard, since so many of them have the same problem? I'd appreciate anyone's input!!! Thank you!!!

i got mine from a junk yard, and it works fine. it is like $10 you are gambling, i dont know where else to get the switch. i could not find one new either? you might try ebay also i guess, someone might be selling a tested one.

Yes i just went to pull a part up here in smokey point. (the closest one to me), i know there is one in lynwood also. I dont know about further south. i will be going to pull a part sometime this next week to get a door hinge for my explorer i could take a look for you and grab one if they have it.

I would really suggest that you check out the shift motor first. In this system, always check for the simple fixes first! The limit switch stop bumper is a very common failure part on these 1st gen ex's and it may cost you like $0.40 to get a small piece of rubber fuel line to replace that stop bumper and maybe a couple hours of time, THEN if all looks good, start looking for electrical part failure.
I've rarely seen the in-dash switch or control module fail, 95% of the time it is that little $0.03 piece of plastic that fails.

I also would start with the shift motor. If that is not the problem and you realy feel that it is the 4X4 control module, I have one that I will sell...If I have to.

Back