1993 5 speed transmission talking to me | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 5 speed transmission talking to me

jimjiwat4444

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont , Nh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer xl
1993 trans. 5 speed floor shift troubles .
I am having some gringing when shifting into 3rd and 4th with 4th gear being the worst . It's almost like it doesn't get all the way into gear when i shift . At high speed it is almost jumping out of 4th when i would downshift into 3rd. Any experience with this out there in Explorer land ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The top cover of the transmission has 3 rubber plugs that seal off shift rod passages, these become loose and leak transmission fluid. When the fluid gets lowered by not much it causes accelerated wear like you have.

I would recommend you find a good condition replacement transmission and a) replace all gasket and seals, b) replace the rubber plugs with metal freeze plugs, c) fill from the top with 3 quarts of full synthetic Mercon ATF.

You can try replacing the worn 3-4 shift fork and inspect the gears for damage but it needs a lot of flushing to get all the worn off material out of the bearings and is no guarantee. If the transmission is whining in some or all gears it is damage to the gears and could last years or weeks, both have happened.

The top cover of the transmission has 3 rubber plugs that seal off shift rod passages, these become loose and leak transmission fluid. When the fluid gets lowered by not much it causes accelerated wear like you have.

I would recommend you find a good condition replacement transmission and a) replace all gasket and seals, b) replace the rubber plugs with metal freeze plugs, c) fill from the top with 3 quarts of full synthetic Mercon ATF.

You can try replacing the worn 3-4 shift fork and inspect the gears for damage but it needs a lot of flushing to get all the worn off material out of the bearings and is no guarantee. If the transmission is whining in some or all gears it is damage to the gears and could last years or weeks, both have happened.

Thank you very much for your answer . It sounds as if you think i have an automatic trans . It is a manual . Sorry if I didn't describe it properly . Jim

Thank you for your answer . It sounds as if you think i have an automatic . It is manual . Sorry if i didn't dedcribe it properly . Jim

No he described it correctly, your 5 speed takes Mercon ATF fluid . with that being said you can rebuild your transmission or get 1 from a junk yard . Good luck

Wow . I'm glad I never put transmission fluid in it or I would have put the old transmission dope. Then who would have been the dope !!?

Also do you know if parts for this transmission are readily available ? I feel like I might like to have it rebuilt .

Parts availability shouldn't be an issue.

help. i was trying ask a question through this forum. i have 1993 5 speed. i replaced my clutch, unfortunately i left my trans out in the weather and it got water in it. i drove it for 2 weeks before it blew up. i got a used one. my truck can't get out of its way in 4 or 5th gear. 5 gear the speed drops. I have 33x12.5 on it. found out it has only 3.0 rear end. before i had replace my clutch it ran ok just had to drop to 4th going up freeway hills but could do faster than 75mph. help

help. i was trying ask a question through this forum. i have 1993 5 speed. i replaced my clutch, unfortunately i left my trans out in the weather and it got water in it. i drove it for 2 weeks before it blew up. i got a used one. my truck can't get out of its way in 4 or 5th gear. 5 gear the speed drops. I have 33x12.5 on it. found out it has only 3.0 rear end. before i had replace my clutch it ran ok just had to drop to 4th going up freeway hills but could do faster than 75mph. help
What’s your rear end gear? Did you get the exact same transmission?

No he described it correctly, your 5 speed takes Mercon ATF fluid . with that being said you can rebuild your transmission or get 1 from a junk yard . Good luck
Can I use valvoline synchromesh ATF in my 1993 explorer 5 speed

Back