1993 XLT Gas Mileage Improvement Project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 XLT Gas Mileage Improvement Project

Navig8r

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I just completed the first of 45 scheduled round trips between North Naples and Fort Lauderdale (Florida). Filling the tank of Moby Cranberry at the START and END of the round trip at the same pump at the same station, my MPG was 19.3.

And I was starting to hate the 3.08 gears...

I never exceeded 75 MPH eastbound and cruised in fog and some rain westbound at around 65 MPH. Being Florida, there are no hills and almost no curves between FTL and Naples.

::::

Rolling stock at present is in SCREAMING need of a tune-up:

1993 XLT 2WD - Stock AT/3.08 open differential.
Tires: Michelin XCX P235R-15 aired up 4 PSI over recommended pressure.

Stock wires, plugs, airbox, but with K&N element.

At present I have the following in hand:

Jacobs wires

Bosch 4P plugs

Saber Saw to open out the Air Box ("AHR box", as they say around here).

A Tornado (Hey...it was Free!)

Presently pricing a Chip.

::::

My intent is to, weekly, implement each unoffical "stage" of the typical mods discussed on this board, make 3 Gulf - to - Atlantic round trips, documenting mileage, and publish the results here.

STAGE 1 - Replace the wires and plugs with the above materials.

STAGE 2 - Open the Air Box as much as is structurally possible.

STAGE 3 - Clean the MAS sensor wire.

And on and on...

Well, you get the picture.

The ideal to which I will strive is to get the gas mileage into the range of my BroncoII, which was 23 MPG Highway in Florida (26 MPG Highway across West Texas).

Stay tuned, Sports Fans...

DE BUCK W7LV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Navig8r,
I will be waiting on your report to see how the outcome developes. Should be very interesting. Also please be sure to note the temperature and weather conditions.
Good Luck

May want to change out the O2 sensors and see what happens before a chip install. O2's are blamed for a lot of mileage and emmission probs., it would be interesting to see how true that is. Just a suggestion.

good idea, results should be interesting reading.

Navig8r,

Be sure to disconnect the battery whenever you are doing upgrades. This will reset the computer and make sure you get the full effect of the new upgrade.

...19.3 mpg??? Hell, I'd be happy with that let alone getting more :)

I got 19 for about a week after I put in the new chip...then it went right back to to about 15......you wana trade????

This looks like a good idea! I am leaving this message so that I will be notified by e-mail of additions to this thread.

I am only getting about 13.5 mpg in town/16-17 on the hwy so I am not getting what I should be (15/20). I know something isn't right with my O2s or FPR but my code reader didn't return anything the other month when I tested.

Back